Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically after washing my jeep off with the garden hose i get in to turn on the wipers to wipe off the windshield and they don't move, some times they wiggle abit and now seem to be stuck in the opposite position from where they normally rest, some times I can't move them at all and other times they can move freely, I can still hear the motor though when i turn them on so I don't think the motor is shot, does any one know the easiest way to take this part of the jeep open to take a look at it?

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Drop the windshield. You have to undo the torx bolts on the visors, two torx on the roll bar to windshield on each side, and a plate on each side with three torx each.

Now you'll see the motor. Unbolt it and you should see the output shaft with a 360 degree swivel. Likely, there will be a nut on the tapered and keyed output shaft with a metal elbow in there.

You probably have stripped teeth on there. With mine, I had to go retard tight with an impact because it was completely stripped.

Before doing that, Make sure the motor is in the rest position. Turn the wipers on and off so you know the motor is there. Then tighten the metal elbow in a straight line with the wiper arm inside the windshield, and reattach it to the arm.

Assembly is the reverse of removal... Do yourself a favor and get some 5/16-18 hex bolts at Home Depot (coarse thread) about an inch to an inch and a half long for the roll bar windshield mount. I never put a torx back in unless it doesn't have much torque on it or it can be easily removed with vise grips if it strips.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Here it is. I found a good picture of what I'm talking about. See that nut? That elbow AND the shaft were stripped, but the shaft is tapered so it can be pressed on.

That plastic bushing thing snaps into the wiper arm. Mine was hot glued in and I found a cigarette lighter jamming the wiper arm so somebody messed with this...

·
Registered
230 Posts
The only way to really get to the wiper mechanism is by lowering the windshield which involves taking out the bolts that connect the roll bar to the windshield frame. You also have to take the bolts from the inside at the bottom of the windshield frame out.

Once those are all out you should be able to lower the windshield, your hinges might be kinda rusty so you might have to put some kind of oil in there and then kinda rock it back and forth. Heat helps too.

The whole box for the wipers is attached to the windshield frame, it's actually what the vin plate on the dash is attached too but lowering the windshield is probably the easiest way to get at it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Drop the windshield. You have to undo the torx bolts on the visors, two torx on the roll bar to windshield on each side, and a plate on each side with three torx each. Now you'll see the motor. Unbolt it and you should see the output shaft with a 360 degree swivel. Likely, there will be a nut on the tapered and keyed output shaft with a metal elbow in there. You probably have stripped teeth on there. With mine, I had to go retard tight with an impact because it was completely stripped. Before doing that, Make sure the motor is in the rest position. Turn the wipers on and off so you know the motor is there. Then tighten the metal elbow in a straight line with the wiper arm inside the windshield, and reattach it to the arm. Assembly is the reverse of removal... Do yourself a favor and get some 5/16-18 hex bolts at Home Depot (coarse thread) about an inch to an inch and a half long for the roll bar windshield mount. I never put a torx back in unless it doesn't have much torque on it or it can be easily removed with vise grips if it strips.
great post I'm going to do this right after it gets warmer out I've noticed though that some times abit of smoke is coming out of my steering wheel where the little lever switch for the wipers connect, could that make it an electrical issue?

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
great post I'm going to do this right after it gets warmer out I've noticed though that some times abit of smoke is coming out of my steering wheel where the little lever switch for the wipers connect, could that make it an electrical issue?
GOOD GOD YES!! Better start ripping that steering wheel apart before your roasting marshmallows on your yj!!

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Yeah you might want to turn your cup holder into a fire extinguisher holder... Look at the turn signal return spring video on JeepSolid. That'll show how to pull it apart. Look for shorts.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
There's your problem! You let the smoke out! Nothing ever works proper after you let the smoke out!

·
Super Moderator
12,685 Posts
One way to resolve your smoke problem is to replace the entire steering column. Other posters can tell you what year and model General Motors column interchanges with our Jeeps.
This might be the simplest and possibly the cheapest fix. Pick & pay will be your friend here.
If you have a FSM, it will describe how to change your lock cylinder and steering wheel. Everything else should be the same. If you don't have a tilt column, now would be a good time to get one.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Smoke only came out once, one the first thing to do is take apart the turn signal lever and parts of the steering column looking for a short or something? My wipers move about a half inch when I turn them on so I'm kinda stuck between opening up the motor compartment ( would be a bitch previous owner sealed up hinges with what looks like jb weld) or gutting steering column, I kinda need wipers living in Michigan and snow storm is predicted for the next few days....

·
Super Moderator
12,685 Posts
The smoke only came out once because whatever burnt no longer has power connected to it to burn again. No matter what is wrong with your wipers, you need to disassemble your steering column head to discover what shorted out. Do your signals work? How about your high beams?

The snow we are having today in Denver is headed your way tomorrow.

A Factory Service manual will have all the info you need to diagnose and repair your steering column and your wipers.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Super Moderator
12,685 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts