Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well late last summer in July I jumped into the world of finally owning a jeep. My grandfather owned a CJ and an Xj(Cherokee) growing up so I have always had an infatuation with them.

My YJ had some mods when I purchased it but abruptly after buying I took a job in Kansas(I'm a coach so I move from time to time.) So unfortunately my jeep was left sitting under my grandmother's carport in Texas.

Well we just recently moved back to Texas and I finally got my jeep started up and running again. I would like to eventually turn it to an every day vehicle.

Currently:

121,XXX Miles original miles
2.5 IL4
5-speed
Heat/No AC
31 in tires
Have hard and soft top
Seats need replacing
The wiring is a mess from the previous owner

I'd like to give the jeep a little more power. I am not operating with much mechanical know how but I feel like I am willing and able to learn. I am a teacher so it will be a slow process.

Ill post pictures soon but I'm glad I found this great community to kick ideas around with. I'll hang up and listen now.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I have a 93, 4 cyl, 5 speed and 31 tires. To be blunt, there isn't any hidden power to find. Some of the "power enhancements" you will find on the web may give you better throttle response but little if any extra horsepower. 31" tires are as tall as you want to go on a stock set up. Depending on what you are trying to achieve performance wise and how you plan on using your Jeep, will dictate what direction you should go. Shorter tires is the cheapest and easiest way to get better acceleration. If you want 31 or taller, gears would be the next option. Or you can go all out and drop in a bigger engine. My best suggestion is to change all fluids, tune it up and drive it. After awhile, you'll know which is your best option.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Yup, if you want more power ur gonna need more spark plugs....

That said, there is no end to the number of go fast goodies you can buy if you don't believe us.

Edit: don't mean for that to sound offensive.... just pointing out that lots of manufacturers make all sorts of snake oil cures for the poor 2.5....

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 93, 4 cyl, 5 speed and 31 tires. To be blunt, there isn't any hidden power to find. Some of the "power enhancements" you will find on the web may give you better throttle response but little if any extra horsepower. 31" tires are as tall as you want to go on a stock set up. Depending on what you are trying to achieve performance wise and how you plan on using your Jeep, will dictate what direction you should go. Shorter tires is the cheapest and easiest way to get better acceleration. If you want 31 or taller, gears would be the next option. Or you can go all out and drop in a bigger engine. My best suggestion is to change all fluids, tune it up and drive it. After awhile, you'll know which is your best option.

I have kicked around the idea of dropping another engine in it. I figure it's going to be an expensive endeavor so it may have to wait for now.

·
Premium Member
2,621 Posts
The "Magic" is in the gears, I like to think that they were built to go slower speed so folks have more time to admire them as you drive by...

·
Registered
322 Posts
The way I look at a Jeep is like this. It's not made to go fast or pull heavy loads or haul lots of stuff or people. They make other vehicles that do those things. A Jeep is at home when off-road. It's just that it looks so damn cool to drive on the street but it doesn't do that very well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts