Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The spider gears blew apart in my stock 4:10 dana 35. Im currently looking into a ford 8.8 out of a explorer to replace it but not wanting to do any regearing if i have to because funds are limited. What should i be on the look out for the best compatibility. Plz help it's my daily driver! Any knowledge would be much obliged. Thank you.

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
8.8 out of a ford ranger with a 4.0 V6 it has the 4:10 gearing
don't rangers have 27 splines shafts vs the 31's on the suv;s?

Just get one from a 95ish to 2001 ish explorer or mountaineer.. they are all the same 8.8 less the gears, will give you disc brakes as well... Mine was from an 98 explorer. Ruff stuff(vendor on on the forum) makes a nice bracket kit for the swap.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the rangers 8.8 was slightly weaker than the explorer 8.8, spline count and all. It might be easier to find one out of an explorer with the correct gearing. Btw there is gobs of info online regarding the swap, just google it

·
Registered
568 Posts
Oh! I always thought the ranger's would be stronger since its a pickup and people would tow more with it. Although anything is stronger than the 35 turd.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
97-01 explorers have 31 spline and rear disc brakes. If you look at the drivers door they have an axle code get the one that says D2. It comes with 4.10 gears and an LSD. Buy your swap kit from www.ruffstuffspecialties.com it cost $127.50 + shipping. Cheapest I found when I did my axle swap. And no I don't work for them, just a very pleased buyer!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Open is exactly that one tire gets all the power and the other gets minimal amount. So if you left tire starts spinning it gets the power. A LSD it is open until you get on the gas. Then big tires spin at the same rate. This is how I understand it, maybe someone else has another way to explain it. But LSD is preferred if you don't have plans to regear or throw a locker at it.

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
If you plan to put a locker in it, based on talking with the folks on ford sites.. go for a full case locker(takes the place of the carrier) I did this with mine. The carrier is just not upto dealing with a drop in locker. The LSD carrier is weaker than the open carrier. Also be sure to weld you outer axle tubes to the diff housing.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
If you plan to put a locker in it, based on talking with the folks on ford sites.. go for a full case locker(takes the place of the carrier) I did this with mine. The carrier is just not upto dealing with a drop in locker. The LSD carrier is weaker than the open carrier. Also be sure to weld you outer axle tubes to the diff housing.
I can understand this and a good suggestion on the carrier. Here's (incase anyone is wondering) where he's talking about welding.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I can understand this and a good suggestion on the carrier. Here's (incase anyone is wondering) where he's talking about welding.
What is the purpose in welding this particular area? I know it's for strength, but will this break under high loads normally? Is this just an added precaution while the axle isn't installed?

Also, so you're saying that LSD is better, but weaker when you lock it? Open isn't preferable, but easier to lock and upgrade?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
You weld it there because the axle tubes are held into the diff. by what's called push pins.(3) and with bigger tires the axle tubes can spin inside the diff housing. The carrier can be locked with a lock rite, or a spartan locker. All yet do is replace he LSD/spider gears and its locked but he carrier is weaker. With a real locker, ARB Detroit OX locker you get a much stronger carrier since these are the whole carrier not just the spider gets so to say. If you look up spartan lockers that piece that is shown is a little bigger that your fist. The other lockers are the whole carrier that the ring bolts too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the information. The pictures really help too on welding the axle tubes. I believe i will be starting my swap this weekend in hopes of finding an explorer with the right code in the door. Ruff stuff brackets will be ordered as well. Thanks for the tip on that! Saves me $30 from the other one i was looking at.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
If you get the open carrier, you can install a Spartan or Lock Rite, if you get the limited slip, you have to replace the entire carrier to install a locker.

The factory Limited Slip sucks for of road, great on rainy pavement....

I went with an open and a Spartan personally.

Im a few weeks away from removing my D35 and setting the pinion angle on my 8.8, tacking my perches, then removing it to weld the perches and axle tubes, after saving parts of almost a year.... yea im in no hurry....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts