Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 93 at 45 mph tire starts bouncing, wonders all over the road like the steering is loose. What could it be besides tires and balancing. I'm getting new tires day after tomorrow but wondered what else might the problem be?

shocks?
ball joints?

what else?

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Ball joints are right on, check the tie rod ends too.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Also trace the steering shaft for the universal joint on it and make sure the pitman arm and steering box are sturdy.

Universal joints may have play in the front steering axle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 93 and my steering box rusted right off the frame. Super dangerous situation. Luckily they make a piece to replace that rusted out piece of frame that welds right in. I would say it's a good chance that's your problem.

ForumRunner_20160210_113039.jpg

ForumRunner_20160210_113204.jpg

·
Super Moderator
12,670 Posts
When you have your new tires installed have the tire shop do an inspection. They might not find everything but I would expect the technician to find the worst of it. Then you can decide if you want to do the work yourself or have them do it.

I wouldn't drive very much with new tires and the problems you describe. You don't want to have to fix your suspension and then buy a second set of tires.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hmm I'll check the ball joints and rod ending this weekend. Going to pick up the tires anyway but don't drive it much but to the store at the moment because of the steering. The tires on it now are old and wetherchecked pretty bad. Hoping it's mostly tires. lol

Thanks for the replies

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
When you have your new tires installed have the tire shop do an inspection. They might not find everything but I would expect the technician to find the worst of it. Then you can decide if you want to do the work yourself or have them do it.

I wouldn't drive very much with new tires and the problems you describe. You don't want to have to fix your suspension and then buy a second set of tires.

Good Luck, L.M.
I would try to do the inspection BEFORE the tire shop, if it's a one time alignment fee. If it's lifetime, it's just more time in the shop. Alignments around me go for $80. If you find rust on the frame, you can order the autorust section and have them weld it on while they're working on it. Look for a tire and muffler shop because they use gas shielded MIG. Stick welding and gas MIG is what you'd want for a frame. Or do it yourself. It doesn't look like that bad of a place to weld, at least on the outside.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Getting the tires in the next town. I'll check the ball joints befor I have the tires installed. Would drive the HEEP to the tire shop but it's to scarry to drive on the freeway. lol

Just found a good deal on tires and want to get them while the deal is to be gotten.

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
You really need to have the front end inspected and the alignment checked

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep, this weekend, I'll check what I can and when I have the tires installed, have them check the HEEP. lol

Thanks for the suggestions and info

btw, got the tires today... woohoo!

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Please tell us what you found out?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'll be sure to fill you in Nubby55.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts