Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
So the windshield frame is unusable...at least for me. I did find a place where I can get one for $100, which isn't too bad. 1987-1996 Jeep Wrangler Windshield Frame – Classic 2 Current Fabrication

I also didn't get as much done on the body as I planned. My dang pressure washer decided it didn't want to work so I spent way too much time trying to get it running. Had a few yard projects that were way over due so I spent quite a bit of time working on those. I am going to have to start working on the jeep every night these next few weeks. I have no idea how the hell I am going to get all of this done in time!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
I also didn't get as much done on the body as I planned. My dang pressure washer decided it didn't want to work so I spent way too much time trying to get it running.
Funny story... Our neighbor loaned us her pressure washer, and said that it was a bitch to start. If you shot it with starting fluid just to get it running, it would eventually start. Half a can later, no bueno. My dad and I pulled open the carburetor, cleaned it, and noticed the jet was clogged. Replaced that thanks to dad's friend who owns a mower shop. Next day, it wouldn't start again! After some more troubleshooting, I found that the fuel shutoff valve was bad. I just put in a vacuum line fitting.

I never thought that little Honda GCV 190 engine would give me as much trouble as my Jeep...

I'm liking this build, even though I'm not a fan of chrome. I like chrome under the hood rather than on the outside, so it's good to see that you went with black rims.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I'm liking this build, even though I'm not a fan of chrome. I like chrome under the hood rather than on the outside, so it's good to see that you went with black rims.
Thanks MudMagnetYJ. I don't mind chrome on the outside of some vehicles...just not a jeep. I am trying to have a good looking jeep without making it look like a pretty boy toy.

And, I've changed my mind on which wheels I want to get for the jeep...I said before, this waiting for parts is giving my mind too much time to think!

These are the wheels we plan to get. They will match the paint color we are going with.

U s Wheel 046 Series Stealth Crawler Lockring Style Camo Green Wheel 046 5812CG | eBay

I also need to get some of the pictures posted in here. I have been bad about taking the pictures to update the thread. Not that I have a ton accomplished yet, I just figure if I am telling a story, I should have a few pictures to go along with it!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
That was FAST!

So I ordered the new windshield frame this week...and it showed up today! I didn't figure it would be that quick. I thought only Jegs had 2 day delivery. Anyway, I finally took pictures of the parts that I got. Figured I'd show y'all what I have thus far.

The Holley part is what I am going to use for the fuel pressure issue, going from injectors to Carb. I've read quite a bit of other posts and this seems to be the easiest and best bet. So I figured, why not!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
That exhaust is going to look amazing. Is it just pipe straight back from the headers?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
That exhaust is going to look amazing. Is it just pipe straight back from the headers?
I am running just the X pipes off the headers. I will see how long that will last though! I am sure they are going to be SCREAMING loud and the neighbors will be a little pissed off after a month or so. Once I get it all hooked up and tuned, I will see how it sounds. I may have to put a performance set of mufflers on just to keep it below the deafening level.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Well, I've finally ordered a few more parts this week. I've ordered the new soft top, crossbar motor mount, and Lokar shifter. $600+ later and I am once again broke! Ahhh, gotta love jeeps!

On a less comical note, I still don't have my engine:atomic:. I only have 2 weeks before my buddy comes down for the week to help put The Money Pit back together. I will be slightly more than upset if my motor isn't here in time.

Also, I guess I am a glutton for punishment...I found a 93 F150 2x4 that is in really good shape for $1000. Might just be my next project vehicle! Drop a nicely built 351 in that dude, lower it a little bit and tub out the back end! I think I can hear my wife cussing as I type this...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
After several phone calls and angry conversations, I finally sent an email to the owner and good news, my engine shipped that same day! Funny how that works. I will be getting the engine delivered Monday, between 12 and 5. Just in time for my buddy to get here and help unload it!:beerdrinking:

I am hoping that everything goes together nicely, and that I have everything I need...or at least the right versions of the parts! I know things are not going to go as planned, I just hope that we don't have too many problems! I've got one week to get this thing put back together and then I am back on my own! I think the biggest problem that I am going to run into is trying to remember how and where all the damn parts go! It has been so long since I took this thing apart...I've slept a few times since then...I am wishing that I had put all the nuts and bolts in sandwich bags so I could label them. Taking pictures of how things were before I took them apart could have been helpful as well.

I've got the frame all sanded down and bed liner rolled on it. It looks nice too! I've got most of the body work done so I will have to sand it down a little bit and then get it painted after the engine, which was not how that was supposed to happen!

I will try to remember to take and post pictures of the progress. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
It has been so long since I took this thing apart...I've slept a few times since then...I am wishing that I had put all the nuts and bolts in sandwich bags so I could label them. Taking pictures of how things were before I took them apart could have been helpful as well.
I learned these same lessons on my build. Mine took 4 years all together to complete so there were many things that I forgot where they went or even which vehicle they came off of. I now keep various sizes of ziplock bags in the shop.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Let the work begin...

So I FINALLY got my engine!:iamhappy:

It took 4 weeks longer than it should have but it finally got here. I got the engine at around 3 and my buddy came in from Wisconsin around 7 this past Monday. We got him unpacked and started work on the engine.

I guess when you order a "complete" engine, you may want to verify the meaning of "complete". I had to spend an additional $1400 this week in parts so we could get this thing put together. And, as with any other project my buddy and I ever do, nothing went together like it was supposed to! We had to replace a few of the parts that came with the engine, like the mechanical fuel pump and the thermostat housing. The fuel pump was junk and the thermostat housing pointed right at the alternator since we put the driver side mount on.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Things that I learned while putting the engine in...

1. The frame is in a V shape, narrowing as it moves to the front. This became important when using the Universal Cross Member Motor Mount. You can see in the picture below the pieces that get welded to the frame are intended to be flat...with an V shape frame this is next to impossible! We also used the same type and brand of mount for the transmission, which brings me to #2.

2. You have to pay attention to the height of your engine and the angle of the tranny. Since I will not be using The Money Pit for off road or rock climbing I was fortunate. I couldn't reuse the "skid plate" that was also the transmission support because of the height of the tranny. I did not realize that the factory transmission was so much lower than the frame rails. Either way, I had to order the cross member support for the tranny from Summit Racing and pay an additional $30 for next day shipping. To give Summit Credit, UPS showed up at 9:30 in the AM with my package! Very nice!

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I had to make several trips to an amazingly cool store, Performance Products, to get parts and exchange parts. These guys specialize in Hot Rods and helped me figure out a TON of troubles that I had, like what parts to get and that the mechanical fuel pump that came with the engine was junk and would not work for very long. I also got advice on how to hook up the fuel lines without having a big black hose running down an otherwise chrome engine...pictured below...the L shaped Edelbroch piece with the inline fuel filter. They even custom made the chrome braided line to go with the Edelbroch mechanical fuel pump and the Edelbroch L shaped piece.

I purchased a chrome radiator hose kit that didn't work on the bottom hookup for the radiator and engine. For whatever reason, the bottom connections were considerably larger than the top making the chrome too small to fit. Having already made too many trips to the shop, and rapidly running out of time, my buddy had to leave the next morning, I decided to take the $40 loss and use the black hose for the bottom connection.

I am attaching the picture of the transmission mount I used below as well.

Also, I figured that ordering top quality parts, like the transmission and radiator, I would think that the bolts would be torqued down and ready for use...I guess I am wrong in that. Both the tranny pan drain plug and the bolts that hold it up were loose. Found that out the following morning after a rather large puddle of fluid formed under the jeep!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
I had to make several trips to an amazingly cool store, Performance Products, to get parts and exchange parts. These guys specialize in Hot Rods and helped me figure out a TON of troubles that I had, like what parts to get and that the mechanical fuel pump that came with the engine was junk and would not work for very long. I also got advice on how to hook up the fuel lines without having a big black hose running down an otherwise chrome engine...pictured below...the L shaped Edelbroch piece with the inline fuel filter. They even custom made the chrome braided line to go with the Edelbroch mechanical fuel pump and the Edelbroch L shaped piece.
My area doesn't have many stores like that, though I'll get the occasional super helpful person at the parts store. You gotta take that advice with a grain of salt usually, because I've gotten some great advice and some bad advice. I always appreciate the help and ideas, though. It's great to have a shop like yours with guys who have done all that before. Someone at my local Advance used to have one of those "Jeep in a box" things where you assemble it together.

This Jeep is going to be almost too nice! Still it's the perfect summer joyrider to drop the top and go to a baseball game. In 5th grade football, my buddy's dad would roll him up to practice in his CJ7. You'll be the cool dad of the group!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
So I am flat out of money! :facepalm: I still don't have the power steering hooked up...I'm going to get chrome braided cables for that. I still don't have the heater hooked up...I'm going to get chrome braided cables for that. I pulled the wiring harness out so that I can try and piece together what I need and what I can get rid of. I think I am going to take the fuse box out of the engine bay and put it inside the cab...along with the battery. I don't want those two things looking ugly next to the engine.

I found out that the transfer case was not clocked correctly...I think. When I put the adapter on the transmission, the bolts don't line up on the transfer case...not even the gasket that came with the transfer case fits on it! Then, they send a set of bolts to screw into the transfer case through the adapter...and the threads are messed up on the majority of the holes! I can only get one bolt to screw in! :atomic: As if I didn't have enough to deal with outside of someone else's mistakes.

This is holding me up even more than I anticipated to be held up. I can't get the drive shafts measured to order if I can't get the transfer case hooked up.

I guess the "have it running by August" is out the door! And my wife is singing the I told ya so song to me...still not happy!:tomatoes:

·
Registered
848 Posts
Start with the issues you have that don't cost anything.
I am sure information is in your thread but remind us what transmission and transfer case you are trying to mate up. It could be you need to return some items that will provide credit towards what you need.
The chrome hoses may look nice but you may be better off getting it together than holding the project up for cosmetic reasons.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
The sad part of this whole thing is yet to come. It's for your kid, whose 16, sorry to say it, but he's gonna wreck it, guaranteed. No kid 16 makes it to 18 without wrecking a car.
I have... Just turned 18 this May. One ticket (fought and won), no accidents. Now that I've said it, I'm gonna get a door ding. Oh wait, my doors are spray painted! If I have said doors on the Jeep... I've had the Jeep for one year now (got it late June 2015) and I've only hit stuff on the trail. Usually just the diff cover or spring shackles. Bumpers help.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
The sad part of this whole thing is yet to come. It's for your kid, whose 16, sorry to say it, but he's gonna wreck it, guaranteed. No kid 16 makes it to 18 without wrecking a car.
He has already wrecked the first car we bought him. He is 17 now and I figured it would be a graduation gift for him...just a little early. He is a really good kid who is very responsible for his age. He helps with the jeep so he can learn how this stuff works. He has always helped me with construction projects and knows how to use just about every tool I own. He has been my side kick since he was born. Fishing, hunting, sports and just hanging out doing guy stuff...well once he became a teenager he spent a little less time hanging out with dad...he's always been right there. He can wash his own clothes and helps keep the house cleaned...with a few reminders. Not to mention watches his two brothers for the wife and I...sometimes reluctantly.

I think he has learned a lot from the first accident...I doubt he will crash this one. Especially since he has so much invested into it and got to help customize it and make it his own.

41 - 60 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.