Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Dana 35 from what I've been told. Total jeep noob here.. Gota start somewhere right? :)
Problem is. Under throttle the drive train sounds good no hum, even of under the slightest acceleration. But as soon as I decellerate or in other words stop accelerating I het a VERY noticeable hum/grind from the rear.
What are the odds of it being pumpkin related vs outer axle barrings? And with 167k on the truck I have a buddy that is into jeeps tell me to wait to hear about someone upgrading and throwing out /donating a Dana 35. He said I have no need to upgrade as I am only going to be daily driving it, not trail running.
Further info: I am flat broke almost requiring a donation. Lol. But possibly could repair myself if I knew exacly what the problem was.
Thanks for the input

No lift with 31" tires.
Otherwise great running truck. Usual oil leaks.

ForumRunner_20120124_031205.jpg

·
Registered
172 Posts
The Dana 35 is real simple to work on. If it is a simple hum/low-growl that slows as the tires do when you let off of the accellorator, then it is a wheel bearing. You may want to just remove the fill plug on the differential and check the oil in it. Just stick your pinky through the hole and just slightly bend the tip of it down and you should get oil on it. If not, you need to add some according to the specs as far as what type. I would like to help, as I am looking to do a swap out myself, but it is going to be a while yet; probably not until school is over. Sorry. Any more questions just give me a hollar. I have basically tore my '88 Wrangler/YJ completely apart and restored it top to bottom. A bearing, plate seal and oil should run under $100 however. Good luck!:punk:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Way cool.. I'm gona just drain and refill today with some quality oil. Should buy me some time. I'm at the dealer now for a 10 yr old recall on the e brake assembly.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Turns out my pinion bearing is shot. Got under her today to change the fluid and after doing so I wiggled the drive shaft. There was a lot of play where it goes into the diferential. And all my new gear oil was just pouring out. :( is the pinion gear an average diy'er could do?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts