Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, as you've already read in the title, I bought a 93 Wrangler a few weeks ago and the doors don't lock.

Just wondering if any of you Wrangler-ers know of any sites that may have detailed directions or diagrams to show how to fix the problem or how to install new locks. I'm very much the newbie when it comes to this kind of stuff and would really like to start learning and fixing things on my own. Thanks!

Any help would be much appreciated! :)

·
Genius
20,964 Posts
How are the doors not locking? Are the door locks too hard to push or are they just real loose?

If the lock buttons aren't moving or are very hard to move then they just need to be lubricated inside. In mine I could bend a key trying to unlock the doors if I didn't do it just right. If they are just flopping in the wind its possible that the linkages inside the door have come undone. Either way, your going to have to pull off the door panel.

Also if your lock buttons are real loose its possible the previous owner disconnected the linkages to prevent door theft. Have you tried locking and unlocking the doors with the key? I see you have a hardtop but if you put a softop on its real easy for someone to gain access inside and unlock the doors and steal them. If the lock buttons are disconnected the only way to get the doors open is with a key. Free theft deterrent.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply!
well, my driver side door actually locks when i push the lock button in, but the problem with that is i cant unlock it with a key. it just wont move.

and the problem on the passenger side door is that the button is really floppy like nothing is connected and it wont lock at all.

im assuming for the passenger door im going to have to take off the door panel and reattach something maybe. for the driver side though, im not too sure. maybe youre right about it just needing lubrication..

·
Registered
46 Posts
Some people have had trouble with a little Z-shaped metal stamping that's on the back of the lock cylinder. When the mechanism gets hard to move, trying to force it with the key just bends the Z-shaped stamping such that it won't move the linkage far enough to unlock it. I've had that happen on both doors in the winter (cold, dry, old grease doesn't move very well).

When that does happen, the key will turn its normal distance, but it won't unlock it.

But it sounds like in your case the key on the driver's side won't turn at all?

David

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
actually, with the way you described it, the driver side lock has that exact problem. the key turns normal and i can see it actually moving the lock button on the inside. it just doesnt turn enough to actually unlock it all the way.

when you had that problem how did you go about fixing it?

the passenger side on the otherhand may just be disconnected somehow.. i dunno

·
Registered
925 Posts
actually, with the way you described it, the driver side lock has that exact problem. the key turns normal and i can see it actually moving the lock button on the inside. it just doesnt turn enough to actually unlock it all the way.

when you had that problem how did you go about fixing it?

the passenger side on the otherhand may just be disconnected somehow.. i dunno
i think i had the same problem, but don't remember what i did. I know i opened up the door, and lubed everything, adjusted the linkage rods, and it worked, but haven't locked it since then... haha

·
Registered
79 Posts
As others have said - there are several different linkages inside the door. Getting the door panel off is very easy.
There are linkages from the door handle to the striker catch mechanism, and also linkages from the inner and outer door lock mechanisms.

I'd open the door up and see that everything is in place. Even if in place, there are adjustments that may need to be made.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Jeep doors have locks? Why? I would rather have someone take my stuff than cut my top and take my stuff!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah i don't blame you! but i have a hardtop and would like to lock them once in a while if i have some goodies in there or something :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts