Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 93 wrangler i dislike when in 4x4 the turning radius pops and or hops because of the u joints. I have to take down my tranny soon and rebuild it so i was thinking maybe it would be possible to upgrade the axles to the Cherokee style and discard the U joint style. Has anyone done this? I deal with a company called STAR AXLE here in NJ and he rebuilds OE axles which i would be more likely to get. He has a pair part # 2105/06 that to me look like they will fit smoothly and work out to be the best for when i go 4 wheeling. ANyone ever try this or know if it is possible?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah that is true. not looking to keep u joints. damn those axles are 985!!!!! The ones i am getting are OEM Cherokee axles that through my shop im getting for like 45 bucks each.splines and length all match up. But since i know now that it can be done thats my next project at 206k miles..lol

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
I will guess when you say cherokee axles you mean grand cherokee CV style shafts. Fwiw most grand drivers ditch the cv and upgrade to u-joints.

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
Upgrade to u joints? an older system? why would that be? turning radius would suck if that were the case.
Has nothing to do with turning radius, has to do with strength. Keep in mind your talking about a Grand, they are pigs with weight..the stock CV shafts were designed to run a small tire with a smooth ride, not offroad abuse. Hence, issues came with bigger tires, busted grease bags etc, faster wear, best solution upgrade to u-joint and move on. Now the RCV or RCV shafts those are nice, but $$$$.

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
let me ask you. it says i have to do away with the vacuum for 4x4. so does that mean i would either have to upgrade to manual switch , or be in awd all the time after this upgrade???
No, that just means your front driveshaft will be turning. You're not in four wheel drive until you engage the transfer case. You'll find most of the guys on here, get rid of the vacuum motor on their D30 axles, in favor of cable operated or TJ/XJ right side axle shafts. If you really want to get over board you can do RVCs and manual hubs too.:thumb:

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
haha, it is like to many options...lol I think i am just gonna do the CV's and see how that goes for now. I don't have to go crazy, just looking for better turning radius without the binding problems.

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
I have never had binding turning problems on any of my jeeps. are you sure there is not something else wrong?

·
Registered
717 Posts
popping

I have a 94 with stock D30 and have never had any popping when turning as tight as possible. I would question that something else is going on also.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It is only when in 4x4. Since now the front axles are turning with some force behind them if you over-steer on slow turning the u joints bind and create a hopping effect. Best way to describe it would be like using a universal socket at a bad angle and trying to spin it.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
When in 4wd, the front and rear axles are both linked together with a ZERO SLIP differential inside of the transfercase. This works fine when offroad because the surfaces can allow for all of your tires to slip and give easily if they have to.

Since your front end HAS to travel a farther distance than your rear end when turning, no matter how small of speed or radius, your system can begin to bind up when turning on hard road, causing the popping and such you are hearing in the front end. You should NEVER engage your 4x4 system on high traction surfaces unless you have an open or limited slip center differential. Our Jeeps do not have this, at least not the Wranglers. Some of the other SUV Jeeps have this system but our Jeeps do not.

In all likelihood your transfercase will just blow up and break completely before your axles are damaged.

Now if this popping happens when offroad on low traction surfaces then you may just need to replace your u-joints. They're inexpensive, although they require a bit of time to do them properly.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
no, the u joints are fine. prob about 1 1/2 year old. i should have done this when i had 1st done the job. Everything works fine and is in amazing condition. Just mainly when in the snow and making tight turns i experience this. But i know a CV style axle will correct the problem. I want my axle guy to actually make me an 8 ball cage cv axle but only the newer style Jeeps have them so far. Which will not fit mine.

·
Registered
717 Posts
snow or not

If you are biting through the snow to a traction surface, the vehicle will bind and jump when in 4wd. There has to be slip between the front and rear when the wheels have traction. Even on hard surface ground (packed dirt) they will do it.

To check it out, put the vehicle up on axle blocks (all 4 wheels) and put it in low, 4wd and cramp the wheels. See if it pops or binds then. If it does, it is in the suspension. If not, it is due to the differential between the front and rear.

·
Registered
94 Posts
If you go for the solid shaft up front you'll have to get a different front driveshaft. The stock yj front shafts are not balanced and you will get some vibrations. If you just let it vibrate front pinion bearings will go. That's what happened to my buddy.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts