Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.
New to jeeps. Hopefully someone’s had this problem.
I just bought a 1993 wrangler 4.0 6CL 5 speed manual.
Checking the front wheel drive. Vacuums and actuator are working. With one front wheel up, switch to 4H the front wheels lock. If I lift both front wheels the wheels spin in different directions and the drive shaft won’t turn.
In 2H everything works fine.
Any thoughts what I’m looking at for the problem?

·
Registered
934 Posts
I had a similar problem to where the front axle would function on the lift in 4wd under power set the Jeep on the ground and front axle wouldn't function. Front shaft was locked and rotating in 4wd on the lift but not on the ground. Ended up being the T-case itself.

Have you tried 4 Hi and 4 Lo? in your case it could be as simple as T-case linkage is out of adjustment.

Watch a few you tube videos on how to adjust YJ t-case linkage

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haven’t tried 4Lo.
That linkage could be off. A couple of times it engaged by would sound like it just wasn’t engaging properly. Sounded like beer teeth skipping

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Doesn't sound good... The ring and pinion on a YJ usually don't turn in 2WD, thanks to the vacuum disconnect. If a pinion bearing gave out and munched the gearset, you wouldn't notice until putting it in 4wd. 1st thing I'd do is get the front wheels off the ground, disconnect the driveshaft at the pinion, put it in 4wd, and turn by hand to see what's jammed. If the pinion won't spin, the gears/bearing are probably toast.

... As I'm typing this, a little voice in the back of my head is nagging me on the details. Are you saying the front wheels won't turn UNDER POWER when it's in 4WD and either 4 wheels up on stands or 4 wheels on the ground? Otherwise what you're describing is normal behavior. 4WD locks the front and rear driveshafts together. If the rear wheels are on the ground, you're not going to be able to spin the front shaft...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You know I was thinking that very same thing.
The Jeep is on the ground with the front passenger wheel off the ground.
I had read on another post here on checking the four wheel drive. it said with the front passenger side up and the 4H engaged that the front wheel should spin and turn the shaft.
I took it out on the dirt and engaged the front axle and it drives just fine. It didn’t bind and I heard no grinding noises.
I guess I was just confused by that post.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
From reading the original description I don't think there's any problem at all...
With the rear wheels on the ground and the transfer case in 4-wheel drive you should not be able to turn the front wheels except in opposite directions from each other. In four-wheel drive the front drive shaft should not be able to turn unless the rear drive shaft turns

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok sorry all
And thanks for the help
I’ve gone all around this and taken her out and she’s fine. It was just me misunderstanding the write up on checking the 4w actuator.
You’ll have to forgive my first go around the 4 wheels. Definitely much more to get around than the two wheels on my Harley.
Thanks for the help

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
No need to apologize only 2 or 3 of us here were born knowing everything... the rest had to learn it lol....

MUCH better to think you have a problem when you don't than the other way around.. now go enjoy ur jeep ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts