Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 93 yj 4.0 I believe I have 3 73 gears and have 31 x 10.5 r15 thinking of going 33 x 10. 5 r15 do I need to regear it's my daily and do trailing mudding on the weekend. Any help would be awesome.thanks in advance

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Depends... w an auto and 33's you'd be good but w a 5 speed 4.10 is the min for 33's.... many folks prefer 4.56

·
Super Moderator
12,685 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Socket the yj,

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Super Moderator
12,685 Posts

• How do u tell what gearing u have mines 93 YJ 4.0 injected 5 speed. Thx in advance!!
There should be a tag on each differential housing. Stamped on that tag will be your gear ratio. If your gearing is stock, you have 3:07 gearing.
If the Jeep is new to you it's a good idea to change all your fluids throughout the vehicle. Then you'll have a baseline for future service. When you pull the differential covers as part of changing the fluids, you can look on the ring gear to determine with complete confidence the ratio.

Don't be shy about asking questions. There's a lot of help available here.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Luckymac thank you sir!! But while I have u lol. Type of fluids in diffs an transfer case?? Engine is done but have leak are these 4.0s prone to rear seal leaks?? Not sure but could jus be oil pan. Thx again

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Luckymac thank you sir!! But while I have u lol. Type of fluids in diffs an transfer case?? Engine is done but have leak are these 4.0s prone to rear seal leaks?? Not sure but could jus be oil pan. Thx again
Any vehicle 25+ year old is prone to have some issues, how well it was taken care of along the way would be the determining factor.

AEBE332D-ABBC-4107-B715-49CDE7960005.png C5025A7F-B433-411A-B99F-716C3E9D5D0A.png

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
3,933 Posts
Front pages of previously listed FSM will have manufacturer recommendations (75w-90). I use Lucas 80w-90 gear oil as it's readily available and I change mine whenever I spend a lot of time crossing creeks etc. A lubelocker diff gasket is a good investment so I don't have to deal with RTV. if you are nice to them when removing cover they can be re-used a couple times.

EDIT. Above was just for diffs. Transfer case fluid is a topic for debate that could take forever to get agreement on. Type in np231 fluid in the search bar and read to your hearts content. I use castrol atf+4, but others may have a different opinion

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thx alot was big help have manual on way jus impatient I guess lol. This site is the greatest. Very nice to see people that actually want to help. I really appreciate it!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts