Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought this YJ from a friend of mine, good price and he said he wasn't working on it anymore. I trailered it home, I knew form what he told me it had front suspension problems. I get it home and start measuring and we are 2 inches short over all wheelbase (no wonder it drove like crap). Front suspension -- I make new top bars 2 inches longer and lengthen the bottom bars 2.250, so now I have plenty of room for pinion angle adjustment. Bars! I bought it with a Procomp Coil Spring Conversion already installed,, not my choice but it is working. I've had CJ 5's and 7's, this is my first Jeep newer than 1979

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm taking the body apart right getting ready to paint he whole outside with Durabak Sand Smooth, hope it turns out OK.

·
Super Moderator
10,647 Posts
Welcome to the Forum JeffinOrlando,

It looks like the cost of the Jeep wasn't your only expense. Lots of new parts.

Get ready to have a ton of fun.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
639 Posts
nice!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The rear measured correct, the main bust was the front,,, that I could find,, it does drive alot better even with the 38's.

·
Registered
639 Posts
looking good, keep it updated...

What color?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm using a coating called Durabak18 smooth, color is Sand. I have read a lot of reviews on it but I guess most of them lived in the Desert (lol) Humidity affects this stuff, it rained in the middle of my first coat even being inside it clumped on me, Read carefully cures by humidity. But on the plus side this stuff is strong, 80 grit on a DA sander cuts it ok but I think it will be good once the apply guy (me) does it right

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For now

Here's where I'm at,,,, all the lipstick is on this Pig,,,,, now since the Red is gone I can relax and work on it. I checked the driveshafts,,, bought 4 new U-joints and a new front Yoke for the rear drive shaft,, also new trans mount. Yep, just getting started

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I've worked on it some more, had plenty of time during this Viral lockdown but I'm not complaining, my wife and I are still healthy and we are both over 65.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have about 200 miles on the make over, it drives very good, had it in Sugar Sand, light mud, 3 ft water, and all 4 locked in pulling out a friend. So far so good.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts