Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will it work? I blew up my 94 so I found a 89 motor for $150 with 147k. I have my old block an fuel rail. So I'm pretty sure I'm gonna have to swap intakes, but what else with I need to do? Like motor mounts, tranny an splines an stuff like that?
Thanks

·
Registered
539 Posts
you shouldn't need to change anything as far as mounts and transmission go however $150 sounds like a lot of $$$ for a 4 banger with 147K miles on it. I sold my '95 4 banger with transmission, harness, and ECU for $400. You could probably pick up an inline 6 for that price and that amount of miles.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What should I offer him? 100$? I'm just trying to get a motor back in it an be able to drive it again, I'm not really looking for more power, atleast for now

·
Registered
539 Posts
Honestly thats up to you and I hear you but you would be swapping from fuel injection to carburetor unless you only strip that motor for parts to rebuild yours.

I honestly dont know enough to tell you much more than that but I wouldnt go that route If I was in your position. Maybe post up on the tech question side and someone with significantly more knowledge than I could help direct you further :)

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Honestly thats up to you and I hear you but you would be swapping from fuel injection to carburetor unless you only strip that motor for parts to rebuild yours.
No. All YJ 2.5L models are fuel injected from the factory. 1987-1990 models use a Throttle Body Injection unit (one injector inside of the throttle body) and 1991-1995 use a more standardized Multi Port Fuel Injection setup.

You will need to swap your 1994 parts onto the 89 engine but otherwise it should theoretically work.

A bigger engine swap would necessitate swapping more than the engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys, I'm Rebuilding a 1988 Jeep Wrangler YJ.

Anyways I Need help buying a new engine, fuel injected. I currently have an 88 with a carburetor, running a 258 4.2 liter straight 6.

My question is what newer year of a fuel injected engine can I put in without having to make major mods. Like can I go from an 88 to a 90, 91, 92, 94, 95, etc you get the point. Price is not a problem, I Just want to swap out the carburetor for fuel injection. Also I am not interested in fuel injection kits.

Thanks any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

-Jaxs

·
Registered
261 Posts
jaxs, if you google jeep 4.2 fuel injection conversion you will find complete TBI kits that aren't smog legal for around $1200 an links on piecing a kit together from used parts. Some buys report great results scrapping the stock 4.2 carb set up an getting a motorcraft 2 barrel carb an GM hei style distributor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts