Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not meant to spark another YJ vs. TJ debate but I am curious, let's say you had the opportunity to purchase either a 94 YJ with a 6 cylinder engine (147K) or a 97 TJ with a 4 cylinder engine (99k). All other things being the same - price, condition, lift, tires/wheels, tops, etc., which would you go for and why? Whichever way you lean, be sure to explain why! Thanks.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
YJ and its not even close. The 4 cyl in the TJ sucked so bad and were so gutless that even with a little more than half the displacement of the 4.0 it got the same MPGees as the 4.0 because it had to work so much harder. Really no benefit what so ever to getting the 4.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
The only thing a 4 cylinder SWB Jeep is good for is being a platform for a V8 swap.

If you're not going to do that, get the 6 cyl.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Coils are sooooo much smoother on/offroad than leafs. My vote would be the TJ with future V8 plans.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts

<--- Which do you think I chose?

4.0 vs 2.5 is a no-brainer. Don't let Leaves vs Coils influence you either. The engine difference is the only one you should be concerned with.

·
Premium Member
8,897 Posts
I had a 2.5 YJ which I loved. I thought it had enough power to scoot around town and the occasional trip to a trail. On the trail it had plenty of power to do what I wanted. I sold it and bought a 6 Cyl Auto TJ. Now I see the difference. The six has so much more power everywhere. And with the Auto it is a total point and go off road. No question. Go for the 6. You can make a YJ flex. You cant add much in the way of power.

·
Registered
22 Posts
YJ 4.0 would be my choice because i would want the 6 cylinder and because I prefer the looks of a YJ.

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
ditto... nothing beats the bulletproof I6 4.0 H/O. They are known to run over 300,000 miles. Heres a snippet about the 4.0

Reputation says it all...

Wiki;
The 4.0 is one of AMC's best-known engines. It was one of four AMC engines kept in production when Chrysler bought AMC in 1987. Chrysler engineers continued to refine the engine to reduce noise, vibration, and harshness. The last in the line of the AMC inline sixes, the 4.0 is regarded as one of the best 4x4 off-road engines. A Motor Trend long-term test of a 1997 Cherokee XJ noted "this long-lived OHV powerplant has a reputation for getting people where they need to go" as well as "much love expressed by owners for the torquey 4.0-liter/190-horsepower inline six."The engine is known for longevity and to go more than 300,000 miles (482,803 km) without rebuilding.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I was able to talk at length with the head of the Wrangler product line this summer. I asked him about why they went with a V6 in the latest generation Wrangler. The biggest issue was crash tests. It's a lot easier to build in crumple zones when you have an engine that's half as long front-to-back. He told me that they had done a lot of work rebuilding the 4.0 for a new generation and had gotten some pretty good results across the board. They had completely reworked the head and injection system and a bunch of other stuff. They were able to open up the top end power without losing much, if any low end torque while getting impressive emissions numbers. But between the crash tests and a bias within Chrysler against "that damn AMC engine", it was dropped in favor of a really mediocre replacement. Though they did know at the time that a new V6 was just being conceived that would replace all V6 engines in the entire company.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It depends on where you live and what you plan to do with it. 4 cylinder has enough power to go where ever you need to go if it's pretty flat.

I prefer a 6, but where I live, my old 4 had enough power unless I went to the mountains.everyday driving is just fine.

I've owned 2 yj's and 2 tj's and I would rather have a 4 cylinder Tj over a 6 cylinder yj.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts