Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey does anyone know if it's possible to erase DTC's without using the scan tool? The service manual seems to point to using that unit is the only way to erase. Thanks if anyone knows another way as I don't have the scan tool.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Disconnect the battery cables this evening, in the morning reconnect them

I’ve also read but cannot confirm with both cables disconnected from the battery that touching them together will clear it

·
Registered
490 Posts
Disconnect the battery cables this evening, in the morning reconnect them.

I’ve also read but cannot confirm with both cables disconnected from the battery that touching them together will clear it
I've heard that also about touching them together but the lights always to seem to come back on after driving 50 miles

·
Premium Member
2,705 Posts
Cleared codes will only stay off if you've fixed the problem. Are you sure you got the right fix for the code?

Reactions: vmxwinn and IRQ

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cleared codes will only stay off if you've fixed the problem. Are you sure you got the right fix for the code?
No not sure. I will be replacing the TPS as it appears that's what's wrong with that circuit through mu testing (code 24). But there is another code (35) "Cooling fan relay open or shorted" in which I'm not sure if the problem is still present from the prior owner or was dealt with and the code never erased. So I just thought to clear everything after replacing the TPS and see if any codes return then go from there. I don't even know what the cooling fan relay is, does, or where it's located. My engine has a clutch fan so I don't even know what a cooling fan relay's function is.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anyone have any idea about the 35 code? I still can't figure out why this Wrangler is throwing this code here as I don't really understand this circuit. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,705 Posts
Code 35 is for xj's electric cooling fan, Which you should not have. Did you by chance get a replacement PCM out of an xj?..... Or your misreading the code. are you using a tool or counting the flashes to get the code.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Funny you mention that about an XJ PCM as someone else locally thought that also might be the case (from a prior owner). Should it work just as well as one for a YJ? Too late to do anything about it anyway short of buying another one, if necessary. Thanks for the info. I wonder if that was a code stored from the prior vehicle. But why did't it erase when I disconnected the battery for 24 hours , like the TPS error code did? The code is still present? And how do I erase that? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,705 Posts
That's a little deeper than my knowledge, but I believe it will re-occur until you get the pcm reprogrammed to ignore the electric fan circuit, Do yourself a favor and buy a $10 obd reader off Amazon that will clear the codes, and give you a digital code so you can narrow things down a little easier.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's a little deeper than my knowledge, but I believe it will re-occur until you get the pcm reprogrammed to ignore the electric fan circuit, Do yourself a favor and buy a $10 obd reader off Amazon that will clear the codes, and give you a digital code so you can narrow things down a little easier.
Any idea if the 94 could use this? It says that later year vehicles had OBD II standards but were OBD I?! I don't know. And I haven't really seen just an OBD I tool anywhere as I searched. Thanks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Chrysler-6-pin-OBD1-to-OBD2-convert-Adapter-Code-Reader-Diagnostic-Tool-OBD-/322503189165

·
Premium Member
766 Posts
That is basically the adapter that quality OBD II scanners came with through the 2000’s. It is exactly that, an adapter, and will only work in conjunction with an OBD II scanners tool.

While archaic in comparison to my latest Snap-On Apollo D8, I still keep an earlier version around on account it has all the OBD I adapters and reads OBD I codes quickly.

Pictured is the color coded Chrysler adapter that came with a couple of the early OBD II scanners I purchased, similar to the one you linked. Depending on what type of scanner you have (or can borrow, etc), that adapter should do what you need.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts