Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 94 Jeep Wrangler and the floor pans on both side have major rust and has some holes. I climbed underneath and looked and it looks like that have been patched over with thin metal. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to replace these and do it right?

Attachments

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
practice, practice, practice... Find an old 55 gallon drum or something and practice cutting a piece of it out with a die grinder or cut saw, cleaning up the edges and re-welding it back into place. Then, grind the welds smooth, coat w/a thin layer of bondo and sand it smooth with a completely flat sanding block. After doing that a few times, you'll be ready to tackle any body panel replacements.

You can get pre-fabbed floor pans and such but depending on if any damage is in the tub you may have to get some sheet steel and re-build sections at a time.

Here is an example of the pans... But again, some damage is probably into the tub.

Noram Auto Body Parts 16440-L - Replacement Steel Floor Pan (Front Driver's-Side) for 76-95 Jeep® CJ-7 & Wrangler YJ - Quadratec

·
Registered
397 Posts
Try quadratec or jc Whitney. Both sell patch panels for very reasonable prices. I pop riveted mine in and seam sealed edges. A body or weld shop could weld in for a clean look if desired.

·
Registered
988 Posts
For my floor boards, I took off as many rot flakes as I could with a wire brush and screw driver. Then I sprayed Marine Clean on it to rid any oils. Let the Marine Clean sit for 15 minutes, then rinse it off with water. Let the water dry completely. Fans and heat help speed up the process. Then spray on the Metal Ready and let it sit for 15 minutes. Rinse off with water and let dry. Then I PORed the entire area and laid fiberglass matte over it. Then I applied another coat of POR onto the fiberglass. I did the same procedure under the hole. When the POR hardened, it stiffened my floor boards right up. It's as firm as it would be with a metal pan in my opinion because there's no flex to the fiberglassed spots what so ever. With the bed liner ontop of all that, you'd never know that the rot was there.

Heres a link to my thread, there's some pictures of body work, and the floor pans and stuff.
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/my-92-yj-so-far-69165.html

:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
JC Whitney panels are good and they are about the gauge as factory but it is usually best weld them in they will generally last longer that way:punk:

·
Registered
593 Posts
I have used the cheapo floor pans before and they are thin and fit like chit... As you said if you want to do it once and do it right, use these pans..Double the cost but double the quality and you get full coverage...JMO

Key Parts Inc. 0480-226R - Original Replacement Stamped Steel Front Passenger Side Floor Pan for 76-95 Jeep® CJ-7 & Wrangler YJ - Quadratec

Key Parts Inc. 0480-225L - Original Replacement Stamped Steel Front Driver Side Floor Pan for 76-95 Jeep® CJ-7 & Wrangler YJ - Quadratec

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would like to take the tub off and clean the frame and maybe sand blast it. I recently bought me a small sand blaster at Harbor freight, maybe I'll give it a shot...

·
Registered
230 Posts
I bought steel sheet at local steel shop and fixed both floorpans. I don't have all the bevels like oem ones but it worked. Cut, fit and butt welded 3 pieces for each side. To hard to do it in one piece. Used 18 guage steel. Grind down welds and add a little bond. Total cost of steel was $20. Welding time was a bitch...something like 10 hours from start of cutting old floors to finish. I was using fluxcore so chased a lot of pin holes. Gas instead of flux would have worked better.
But the conversion is like $125 for tank and gas.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I have used household calk to patch holes myself. With that blue you can get a match in the truck paint section. You going to keep the YJ forever? Bet you have well over $100,000 miles too.

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
"uplifted" good call on the cheap pans. Saving money is not always the best in the long run.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Buy quality replacment sheet metal and floor pans. Cut out all of the rust or it will come back. Make sure that the pans you purchase will cover the areas in question you do not want to have to fill gaps the pans should fit tight in the holes. use a good rust nuetralizer and clean the areas well. Spray all the metal with weld through primer. Start your welding process. You will have to spot weld do not run beads. Spot weld the patch pan in several areas to hold it in place. Pick a starting point and do a spot weld. Move forward two inches and do another. You will keep doing this pattern untill you have completely welded the panel in place.
Quadratec, 4wd are a good source for new replacment
Davey's jeeps will probably be able to hook you up with used

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
someone told me them FG Tubs will crack and split if you live in a real cold climate area where the tub has to bend and stretch while traveling???

·
Registered
204 Posts
I bought an aftermarket floor pan and welded it in after cutting out the rusted material. I did my welding top and bottom on it. Undercoat on the bottom and Rustoleum roll on Bedliner for the inside of the tub.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts