Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for thoughts on a possible power steering box top cover leak. I clean up the box and a few days later, ps fluid is dripping off the bottom of the housing. Need to investigate further, but it appears the top cover is leaking. Anyone have any experience in repairing this? Is it better to use the gasket that the cover plate calls for, or would I want to use caulking like, say, Permatex the Right Stuff? Thanks if you can chime o\in on this.

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
They are vented the seep some fluid. When my YJ was relatively new it seeped a bit i really dont remember if it got worse as it got older but it seems like it did. Maybe plastic/rubber shrunk and made it seep a little more.

There are no replacement reservoirs sold for the YJ when i broke mine i swapped in a all aluminum racing reservoir that is non vented and it no longer seeps fluid. If it bothers you that bad you could swap to a universal non vented reservoir.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry. Not sure if I understand and also if I explained my situation exactly. So I think the leak is coming from the cover on top of the steering box. It is secured to the steering box with 4 bolts. Not sure if you may have thought I was referring to the power steering pump instead. Again, sorry for my misunderstanding if you knew I meant the steering box at the end of the steering shaft. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
3,930 Posts
A while back when I tightened up my box I had left the locknut a little loose while I test drove it, it started leaking from the set screw until I tightened it back up. You might start there...

·
Super Moderator
12,680 Posts
You can use some engine cleaner to spray your steering box. Allow it to sit a while and then hose it off or go to the quarter car wash and blast it clean.
Once it's dry, watch it closely to see where the leak originates. That should tell you how to proceed.

If the manufacturer recommends gasket, that's what I would use. If the manufacturer recommends RTV, that's what I would use. Whatever the manufacturer recommends, that's what I would use.

There are instances where an experienced mechanic might use something other than what the manufacturer recommends, but if you have to ask you're not at that point.
For me, if I change the specification, I need to be able to make a definitive statement to another professional exactly why I modified the established procedure.

YMMV

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
Sorry. Not sure if I understand and also if I explained my situation exactly. So I think the leak is coming from the cover on top of the steering box. It is secured to the steering box with 4 bolts. Not sure if you may have thought I was referring to the power steering pump instead. Again, sorry for my misunderstanding if you knew I meant the steering box at the end of the steering shaft. Thanks.

i see... well they sell rebuild kits that should come with a new gasket. The problem is getting the nut put back to where it is supposed to be that might be a problem. I have never messed with trying to replace one

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Saginaw-Po...-Pitman-Shaft-Cover-Gasket-Seal-/121246818536

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
3,930 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
934 Posts
I don't know, but every time I've tried Crown products there's been problems with fitment and/or poor quality. Don't know how they could screw up a gasket but if there's a way Crown will find it. I'd look elsewhere or make my own out of gasket material.

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Not sure about this one. Crown's website shows this for non power steering. Gotta look at the top of my steering box to be sure if 3 or 4 bolt cover.

Clicked on wrong picture , Try this one, It actually looks like it's a little more than just a gasket guessing because of the pump pressure.

Crown Automotive J8125038 Steering Box Seal Kit for 81-02 Jeep CJ, Wrangler YJ & TJ, 84-01 Cherokee XJ & Comanche MJ and 93-98 Grand Cherokee ZJ

https://www.quadratec.com/sites/def...uct_zoomed/public/product_images/j8125038.jpg

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think that's it. As agalloch07 showed too. But I have determined (after a good cleaning) that the leak is coming from around where the adjusting screw comes through the cover. It appears I might have to undo the lock nut but NOT move the adjustment screw at all or else I would have to reset the overcenter drag torque value?! Is there even a seal there around the screw? Anyone know how I can deal with this type of component leak? Will I have to replace the entire steering box to solve this simple leak then (They're never simple)? I'm a bit lost here. Thanks.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Try tightening the jam nut first might just need a little snugging up

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
I think that's it. As agalloch07 showed too. But I have determined (after a good cleaning) that the leak is coming from around where the adjusting screw comes through the cover. It appears I might have to undo the lock nut but NOT move the adjustment screw at all or else I would have to reset the overcenter drag torque value?! Is there even a seal there around the screw? Anyone know how I can deal with this type of component leak? Will I have to replace the entire steering box to solve this simple leak then (They're never simple)? I'm a bit lost here. Thanks.

Not finding any o-ring, bushing or gasket for the shaft lock nut, I just tightened mine and no more leak.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's important to not move the adjusting screw while tightening down the nut though, right? It's pretty rusty too. might try to tighten first or spray penetrant first just to hopefully loosen things up. We'll see.

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
That screw will either loosen or tighten up your steering at the box. If its never been adjusted it tightening it up will take out a little play in the steering. You need to have an allen wrench on to hold the shaft and tighten only the lock nut. You might have to loosen the narrow brace below the grill, if it is still there, to get the wrenches on cleanly.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The steering feels a little tight (like the power steering is diminished a little) when turning through the sweep to the left or right, but there is also a little looseness as well in that the lower u-jt of the steering shaft has worn and has a bit of play showing.

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Two separate issues, Lower steering shaft u-joints can only be tightened by replacing, first make sure that the connecting bolts/clamps are tight at top and bottom of the lower shaft.

The steering box should be tight enough that when you are rolling that the wheels will track back to straight line if you let loose of the wheel, if it doesn't return on it's own you are a little too tight and will cause excess internal wear and be harder to turn wheels. If it's hard to turn the wheels I'd first replace Fluid, then maybe look at the pump.

Keep in mind you are 25+ years old and in addition your steering gear, TRE's, will all have a little wear and will be tough to remove all slack in the steering. I feel happy with mine rolling down the road straight and smooth even though there's about a half to an inch of play at the wheel.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts