Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So I found wind noise and some water coming in while driving during a rain from between the top of the windshield frame and the jeep's hardtop. There is a weatherstrip in the forward channel of the hardtop but it seems a bit compressed. I saw a video which showed there should be a "D" profile weatherstrip added onto the current weatherstrip that exists.

1) Can anyone tell me if that's true?

2) Won't that be too thick and won't sit right and would cause the ends to then have gaps?

3) Is there supposed to be another weatherstrip in the rear channel just behind the forward channel (nothing there in my photos below showing)?

4) Should there be a weatherstrip attached to the top of the windshield frame?

Would appreciate any information on helping me get this buttoned up, dry, and quiet for winter. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
12,668 Posts
I have an '87-'90 parts catalog. I see only the one long weatherstrip and the two corners listed in the parts catalog to seal between the hard top and the windshield frame. I don't remember if my hard top had a "D" shaped weatherstrip or not. If your weatherstrip fits in the channel in the hard top, it's most likely the original weatherstrip. As old as these heaps are, I'm not too surprised that the weatherstrip is compressed to the point that it's leaking.

What I would do is go the Home Depot or your local hardware store and look in the weatherstrip section. They should have household weatherstripping in rolls. I'd get the 2" wide by 1/4" or 3/8" thick with a peel and stick backing. Then I'd remove the screws at the top front and each side. You don't have to remove the top completely, simply lift the top a bit and place a section of 4X4 between the top and the roll bar.
Then, I'd stick the weatherstrip to the underside of the lip on the top, after gluing the corner pieces to the top.With the weatherstrip attached to the top, rather than the windshield frame you don't have an ugly strip of weatherstrip showing when you remove your hard top for the summer. Plus the sun won't destroy the weatherstrip during the summer if it's attached to the top.

Other posters might have other cures, but that's what came to my mind. I use the 2" wide weatherstrip on the sides where they bolt to the tub because my hard top was missing the side seals when I bought it.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Didn't realize how difficult it would be to find 1" or 2" x 1/4" RUBBER weatherstrip. Easy to find foam weatherstrip but not rubber. Foam won't really work for water leak prevention. I really need to use rubber. Home Depot, Lowes, nothing. Any ideas where I could look next? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
796 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great! Thanks very much.

·
Super Moderator
12,668 Posts
You're right. I suggested foam weatherstrip at HD or Lowes, not thinking that the foam would hold water and lead to rust.
It looks like MannyN has the right of it. Thanks MannyN.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You're right. I suggested foam weatherstrip at HD or Lowes, not thinking that the foam would hold water and lead to rust.
It looks like MannyN has the right of it. Thanks MannyN.

Good Luck, L.M.
Good intentions got me to the final answer. Appreciate the thoughts.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Look on amazon for closed cel automotive weather stripping. All the styles and types you can imagine.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Even Better! More variety and less expensive. And comes to your door! Thank you all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts