Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Sorry, I started this new thread vs adding to my previous thread on this subject and didn't know how to delete this thread. Just edit.
Wanting to outfit my 94 Sahara for winter in Boston and looking for some help again. I have decided on the Firestone Winterforce 2UV but am going back and forth on tire sizes. I need to get rims also. Does anyone know if the stock rim was a steel wheel 15x7? I am thinking to go with that size wheel (for winter driving purposes) vs a 15x8 like I have on there now. And the steel wheels I found online (painted black) were, lik, $20 less per rim vs alloy. I'd like to stay with 15 in diameter too. But I can't decide on 215 vs 225 width. Not a huge price difference between these 2 widths, but thinking the 215 would be better in snow, yet, I may probably be driving during a lot of dry weather as well (depending on how snowy our winter gets) and wonder if the 225 would give me any advantage vs the 215 in combo driving. Any thoughts (driving impressions) on all this would be a great help. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
11,073 Posts
It sounds like you're planning to have a set of tire/wheels for winter and another set for the other 3 seasons.
I'd go with the narrower tire for winter. Your tire salesman might be a good source to ask about wheel width (7" vs 8"). Absent input from a knowledgeable salesperson, I'd opt for the narrower wheel for the narrower tire.
If you're planning on having a winter only set of tires, you might consider studded tires if they're legal in MA. When I lived in upstate NY, I seem to remember that studs were legal only during the winter months. Perhaps MA has similar restrictions.

When buying wheels, consider backspacing. Aftermarket wheels are usually run with wider tires than stock and might have greater backspacing. I don't think greater backspacing will impact how the wheels will work for you unless they stick out past your flares. Then you might find the tires throw up slush and/or mud on your side windows.

Most tire stores will trial fit a tire/wheel combination just to see how the combo fits on your vehicle.
Let us know how it goes for you.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you're planning on having a winter only set of tires, you might consider studded tires if they're legal in MA. When I lived in upstate NY, I seem to remember that studs were legal only during the winter months. Perhaps MA has similar restrictions.
Good Luck, L.M.
Yeah, no. In MA the days of studded tires are far behind us. Outlawed many years ago. They ripped up the streets around here too much.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I cant help you on snow tires but i highly recommend Classic Enterprises for your replacement sheet metal needs https://www.classicent.com/jeep/87-95-wrangler-yj

And for your frame patch needs Safe-T-Cap does a fantastic job of patching the old rust bucket back together. https://www.autorust.com/product-category/jeep/jeep-yj/
Already been there! Actually got the floor section from Crown, but got a RR frame section from Safe-T-Cap and it fit like a glove. Wan't too costly. My mechanic cousin welded it all up so labor was nil and the parts weren't bad either.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am running into some confusion in my wheel selection, though, if anyone can enlighten me. What do offset and backspacing mean? I got an explanation about offset (positive and negative), which left me a bit more confused. For ex, the wheel I'm looking at says it's -6mm (-0.2") offset and 3.75" backspacing. But I read somewhere that the factory wheel was 25mm positive offset. These 2 values on the 2 different wheels don't appear to be referring to the same parameter?! How does this wheel differ from the factory specs and how does it affect the wheel fit for me? Any explanation on these values would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts