Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

I purchased a 94 wrangler a few weeks ago, The previous owner had recently replaced the stock springs front and rear and shocks. The jeep currently has 30x9.5 on it that only have about 30% life left and I would like to replace them with 31x10.5 someday. I'm sure the 31x10.5 will fit now but I think it would look better with a little bit of a lift. My question is what would be the easiest way to do it, A body or suspension lift. I was thinking about a body lift as the springs and shocks on have about 9k miles on them. Appreciate any input.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Body lift is the easiest, and quickest, if it is just for looks and room for articulation. My jeep just has a body lift on it now. I personally like the look of a body lift, and put 3 inches body lift, but it depends on your taste. I always liked them. I'm not exactly sure about the YJ, but the TJ is 11 bolts, so the YJ shouldn't be to differant.

Good luck.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If all your doing is road I"d just do a 1" or 1.5" body lift. Get a good one that includes radiator shroud relocator. Or 31s may fit with just a little rubbing. If you're not opposed to a little sheet metal trimming you have another option

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have a daystar 1" Body lift with 31x10.5 tires on it and it looks great. The only thing with the body lift is it depends on how rusty your bolts are and how easy they come out.

·
Registered
194 Posts
^That is definatley true. lol.

I also wantedf to quickly mention that when I did mine, the 3 inch body lifts were cheaper than the 1.5".

I am not sure is that was a special, but i took it.

Also, like stated above, the kit should come withthe spacers, the bolts, and a radiator drop, since you are raiing the body, this radiator drop will line up the radiator and the fan. Very important. Be careful with the radiator drop brackets, I broke 2 out of 4 of mine, and had to make some.
Good luck, again

·
Registered
336 Posts
Show some pictures of your jeep

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
A 1" shackle lift might be easier than a body lift depending on rust. I had to rebuild 3 body mounts on mine. I went with the rc kit for my body lift. The 31 s might fit ok with just a fender flare trim and a steering stop adjustment.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I agree with a 1" shackle lift:

Then again, even a 3' lift still looks a bit cramped:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry guys for the probally dumb question but I'm new to the Jeep world. How much of a lift would 1" Boomerang shackles provide with stock springs that are basically brand new? Does 1" represent 1" of added highth?

Still trying to decided what to do as I want to run 31's and will be doing some mild off the pavment driving and I want it to look nice.

Thanks for your input, I need it.

·
Registered
699 Posts
running 31's

This is my Jeep the day I brought her home. I have 31's with no additional lift. It fits ok, but I really do need some additional lift, especially when I hit the trails. I am planning a 2.5" suspension lift. If that's not enough clearance, then I'll add lift shackles. I found it's good to have a plan, one that doesn't require you to start over or replace good parts. :banghead:

·
Administrator
12,630 Posts
as stated based on the age of the jeep... skip the body lift.. to many things to go wrong with bolts. Note for the shackle lift may need to cut the top bolt out of the factory shackle as I recall.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I ran 32s on my YJ stock with only a little trimming of the fender flares. It looked pretty tough and only rubbed when I was full stuff.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts