Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys /gals
I have a 94 wrangler when backing and sometimes while taking off,the jeep starts bucking and thumping in the rear. Its not the u joint or yolk, its seems like the shaft going into the rear dif. has some movment in it and it looks as if the seal is leaking.
Any ideas or help ?
Thanks Don

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
If it has an automatic/ratcheting locker, this could be normal. The "shaft" I believe your saying is the pinion gear and it is supposed to have some play .015-.020" I believe. Pull the cover and look for metal chunks or shavings. Post up a picture of any findings. Keep gear oil in it and try something a little thicker than stock recommended. If there's serious damage this is the perfect excuse for an 8.8 swap :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
94 wrangler

Thanks Guys, Dont think its the motor mounts and its not a norm. May be best just to find another rear in this year. Does anyone know if there is direct hook/bolt ups of any rear ends besides wranglers of this year ?
Thanks for the info Don

·
Registered
192 Posts
Is it more like a chatter ? It could also be a warped flywheel causing the clutch to slip and it makes the driveshaft buck around a bit . You probably notice it more in reverse because it is a lower gear than 1st , but you still notice it from time to time starting out in 1 . My $.02

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Whats your rear driveline angle look like?
How are the spring bushings?
Are all spring U bolts torqued down right?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
94 Wrangler

Hey Guys,
Yeah its def. coming from the rear end. Dont think its the flywheel. Does anyone know if its possable for the bearing going bad, its where the driveshaft goes into the rear? I dont think its the driveshaft bearings cause its tight. there is a little slop/movement where the driveshaft goes into the rear (yolk)???. But I dont know how involved takeing the not off the (yolk)? and removing it to see what it is? Any Ideas would help thanks Don

1 - 7 of 7 Posts