Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the bolts back out on my rear axle and now I have to either repair the rear differential and pinions or replace the entire axle.

I need some advise. I have a quote from a shop to replace the axle with a rebuilt one for $1400. Is that a fair price? What other options do you suggest-fix or repair?

if I were to go to the junk yard, what axles could be used in it's place?

·
Registered
741 Posts
I had the bolts back out on my rear axle and now I have to either repair the rear differential and pinions or replace the entire axle.

I need some advise. I have a quote from a shop to replace the axle with a rebuilt one for $1400. Is that a fair price? What other options do you suggest-fix or repair?

There are used ones for the YJ out there. Check scrap yards, Craigslist and Ebay for a used YJ one. Make sure you get the same gear ratio. It's most likely a 4.10.

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
I had the bolts back out on my rear axle
What bolts exactly?

This sounds like the beginning of a repair scam. How did this all start?

If its legit, $1400 is not out of line for a shop to charge you.

Going the junk yard route, only another YJ is going to be bolt in. Anything else will require fabrication.

I would peruse craigslist for a good used YJ axle. They are somewhat common on CL.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I agree with DREDnot but depending on your location I have a rear axle out of my '92 that is for sale in the for sale section of the forum (location WI).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't get the bolts that backed out from the repair shop. They said that to repair the existing axle would cost the same as replacing with a rebuilt axle.

I live in Virginia and am a hack mechanic. I can swap parts and do minor work.

I cannot afford the repair and I am debating on doing the repair/replacement myself.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
741 Posts
As stated above look for a used YJ axle with the same gears as yours and put it in yourself.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm also in Virginia, and may be looking at rear axle work in my future for my '93 YJ, so I'll look forward to hearing how your swap goes, especially if you do it yourself.

My left rear axle had a spun bearing and since the inner bearing race is the axle, I have some play even with a new bearing. A friend of mine has a limited slip rear from an explorer that I thought I might try to swap in. Looking at this for reference. http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/my-explorer-8-8-installation-with-pictures-173316.html

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I'm in VA also tidewater area, there are a bunch of 4 banger yj complete d 35's on cl in the couple hundred dollar range. Quick easy swap. Just verify the gears.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I'm also in Virginia, and may be looking at rear axle work in my future for my '93 YJ, so I'll look forward to hearing how your swap goes, especially if you do it yourself.

My left rear axle had a spun bearing and since the inner bearing race is the axle, I have some play even with a new bearing. A friend of mine has a limited slip rear from an explorer that I thought I might try to swap in. Looking at this for reference. http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/my-explorer-8-8-installation-with-pictures-173316.html
By spun bearing do you mean the roller bearing outer race spun in the axle housing? If you have the C-clip style rear axles, a new axle shaft is only around $100 if the bearing surface on the axle shaft was damaged.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts

I'm building a Ford 8.8 now and when I'm done this summer you can have my D35 (if you still don't have a rear axle) for $100. Brakes less than a year old, needs a diff fluid change.

The YJ D35s suck, which is why I'm building a Ford 8.8. If you're going to spend $1400 on a rear axle, go to East Coast Gear Supply and you can build a pretty damn good 8.8 axle for that price.

But what bolts exactly? If your ring and pinion are screwed, you can get a new set for $120 plus shipping. Dana 2020487.

Like DREDnot said, that price is not out of line, but it's paying someone to polish and chrome dip a turd. You'd be much better off going the ECGS route, especially if you want a locker or other upgrades.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
By spun bearing do you mean the roller bearing outer race spun in the axle housing? If you have the C-clip style rear axles, a new axle shaft is only around $100 if the bearing surface on the axle shaft was damaged.
Yes, I read this early today and some think I just like to change parts but, if the bearing is bad most of the time the axle is worn also, if so Change It! you will have to mic. it to tell.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes, a new axle shaft is probably the way to go. I'm not all that sad to have an excuse to go the 8.8 route, especially since I already have one!

Them, I'm also curious what bolts backed out. I had the diff apart to do the bearings, and torqued everything to spec when reassembling, but that doesn't stop me from worrying about loose bolts meeting up with gear teeth.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Stock 35's ain't that bad, this forum trashes them. Yes they aren't the toughest out there, but the 35 in my ol Yj has been doing all I have asked it to do for 25 yr, and the only thing I have ever done internally is change the oil.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
It's rare for the D35s to break under moderate use. You just can't hammer the throttle if you have big tires, and putting a locker in it is not the best thing to do. They just can't handle heavy abuse, that's all. I'd like to have a limited slip with 35s, something the D35 can't handle

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Repair or replace

The bolts sheared off on the rear axle on picture 4. There are a few dings on the other gears. Repair or replace the stock 4.1 rear axle?

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts