Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Jeeper
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
So the distraction vehicle finally has a functional axle in it...sans brakes.

All epoxied up and back cover fitted

Fitted in #3

Now just need the brake lines and wheel end parts from knowwhere2jeep.com which should have been here earlier this week...but they suck. So here she sits:

Not pictured:
Driveshaft with new u-joints and fancy spicer adapter plate which I put together while the epoxy paint dried.

Lessons learned today...shock mounts need to go 3/8" forward, perch to perch is actually 40 1/4", not 40.5. Shock mounts need to go 3/8" inward to avoid the u-bolt nut plate. Basically, my maths were...horrendous.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Where did you pick up those spring perches and shock mounts?

·
Registered
565 Posts
well, even if the axle doesn't fit perfectly... at least it's pretty :)

gonna' put c-clip eliminators on it?

·
Jeeper
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
well, even if the axle doesn't fit perfectly... at least it's pretty :)

gonna' put c-clip eliminators on it?
I have a set sitting on my wishlist, I'm sure they'll end up going through checkout after a few adult beverages one day.

·
Jeeper
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Alright, more wrangling of things on Jeep 3's rear brakes. Finally received the dust guards with the park brake shoes and caliper spider from knowwhere2jeep.com. Park brake came all assembled on the assembly.

Then got the axles back in, calipers and rotors on

MORE brake cables made the park brake a breeze

Still working on piping the brake lines, getting the right banjo bolts for the calipers. Hopefully out the door tomorrow and back to swampy!

·
Registered
565 Posts
lookin" good

what flex lines are you going to use on your 8.8 conversions?

·
Registered
565 Posts

·
Jeeper
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
I used the factory line/tee. I liked the breather setup into the tee, and retained it. This jeep has no suspension lift, so it worked out.

Now the bummer deal... the stock rims don't fit over the calipers. That'll piss ya off when the last thing of the project is putting the wheels on...spacers enroute!

·
Jeeper
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Guess I'll update #3. Got it all together with the wheel spacers. Re-bled the brakes, adjusted the e-brake, greased the new u-joints, checked for leaks, tested her in first while off the ground for vibrations...all good. Quick road test first thru fourth on the dirt road...all good.

Then I left the shop, excited to have a jeep to drive. Excitement faded when I reached for fifth. Apparently when the rear went, it knocked out fifth gear. I'm gonna keep driving her on the side roads until I have a game plan for the trans.

Some final quick shots with everything back together:

Shot of the original brake line tee with the breather tube on the new 8.8. It'll stay till we properly lift the thing.

No pics, but pulled the top down today, it was soooooo nice. Should be able to get back to swamp thing this weekend.

·
Registered
565 Posts
the simple solution to the fifth gear problem is to install big enough tires that you never use fifth :D

·
Jeeper
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Got some welding in today, almost ready for powder coating!

Tore off and installed new body perches, rear shock mounts (and plated the frame), and Novak motor mounts.

Had to re weld a lot of factory welds too cause of crap like this

·
Registered
565 Posts
decided against the body lift mounts?

I'd drill a couple of holes in the bottom corners of those shock mounts for drainage..that's where my frame had a little bit of a rust issue I found when doing my frame off

21 - 40 of 52 Posts