Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
I would like to swap out my stock axles at some point,I was thinking a 8.8 for the rear,what would be a good front end to look for? what trucks,and years so I can keep my eye out. Thanks the help is always appreciated.

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
i'd say a d44 out of a waggy. same bolt pattern i do believe, don't forget about gearing, decide what you want and try to find each axle geared the same, saves money later.

·
Registered
95 Posts
what tire size are you running or planning on running? if you run 35" or smaller throw that 8.8 in and just upgrade your d30 front axles to chromoly shafts.

i ran that setup for a while in my last yj with a heavy foot, 4:88 gears, and didn't have any issues. yukon, superior, alloy usa...all have axle upgrade kits for the d30.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats what I was on planning on running was 4.88's with 35's. It would probably start with a TJ or XJ D30. What year XJ's have the better D30's to look for? I would probably have a shop install the ring and pinions in so they were done correct, but up here in VT ther is not many shops that would even touch it. I used to be a full time auto mechanic and have my own shop,But have heard some horror stories about getting the gearing set correct so they do not howl when on the road.

·
Registered
95 Posts
you don't have to swap out the the whole d30 rear. just swap out the axles. go with chromolly kit to replace your stock axles. the chromolly axles are more stout and can handle a 35" tire no prob. i ran the yukon chromolly kit. kit got rid of the vac. disco. and another bonus is that the ujoints are d44 size....more beef there also. another bonus are full circle clips instead of c-clips on the ujoints. they resist 'popping' off when torqued hard...end result fewer broken ujoints and yoke ears. i'm not a jeep guru so i'm not sure if you have the d30 with vacuum disconnect or not...but here's an example of what i'm talkin about....

4x4ROCKSHOP.com - (877) 4x4-ROCK
or
4x4ROCKSHOP.com - (877) 4x4-ROCK

i don't set up my own ring and pinions. always let the shop do that. can't help you there. but, i'm finding it hard to believe that there aren't any shops around you that install r&p????

·
Registered
291 Posts
of your going to go ford in the rear just go 9 inch. then just get a d44 out of a f150 i think they have the soa already.

·
Registered
47 Posts
i need bigger gears for my yj. im running 33's and its only a 4cyl. my clutch is chattering in 1st on take off. will gears from a ford f150 fit my axle?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do not think so. Changing gearing will not make up for your flywheel being out of wack. When you change a clutch it is always necessary to have the flywheel checked and machined so the face of the flywheel that comes in contact with clutch is straight and true.

·
Hacks off Parts while Lit
2,290 Posts
im running 4.88s with a 4banger and 33s and its perfect IMO.

as mentioned, just beef your dana 30. u already have a HP dana 30. you can upgrade shafts and be good to go.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I put a chrysler 8 1/4" out of a 2000 XJ. Same gear ratio as stock. It was cheap and easy to find. Much easier swap than the 8.8. Just move the mounts and everything else fits. I got the rear plus a spare front for $200. Just make sure your welds are good and solid. Cause I found out the hard way that I needed to redo it.:banghead:

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Imo ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts