Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2002 TJ. 4.0 ltr. 5.5 RE long arm lift, 35" tires, 4.56 gears, Teraflex S/T disconnect,
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me what size the front axle bump stops are supposed to be with stock suspension. Mine are 4 inches which only leaves 1 1/4 inches between the stop and axle.

ForumRunner_20140517_192215.jpg

·
Registered
11 Posts
By the looks of the clean spot on your axle you are bottoming out. My 95 had the same issue. With it being that old I realize the springs were worn and soft. Once I got replacement springs and installed them. I am sitting almost 2" higher.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just measured mine 4in on a 95. Mine were like that also until I added lift kit. Just gotta remember originals are 20 years old.

·
Registered
2002 TJ. 4.0 ltr. 5.5 RE long arm lift, 35" tires, 4.56 gears, Teraflex S/T disconnect,
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info.. I guess the springs are worn and that I'll just have to get a lift kit. Nice. I'm happy

·
Registered
63 Posts
Ok had to mess around with the driver side door latch not unlocking all the way. Got around to taking a picture of one of my front bump stop and a rear shot. What the hell is this thing limiting the hell out of my flex in the front?!? Is this normal?
Front driver
image-3585965586.jpg

Rear passenger
image-4171065497.jpg

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
That piece was added as part of the lift kit.

Take it out and it will flex better, but be careful of how hard you flex it, cause without a bumpstop, you can blow out the shock, or invert the shackle.

Just sayin.

·
Registered
96 Posts
As for life says part of lift. When installing a lift your supposed to adjust bump stops to match. Depending on lift tire combo you may rub if you remove it. I did not change my bump stops, the whole purpose is to flex more. How do expect to break anything if you follow rules?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Not sure I haven't seen many jeeps with those brackets on the axel. Looking at the rear and how much room there is to flex and my shocks are still fine. I find it hard to imagine it would mess anything in the front am I correct in assuming that?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Let's see if I can explain this.
The rubber bump stop is to stop your axle from hitting your frame, the tires from hitting the fenders, and over extending parts the wrong way.
The added metal piece is to stop your axle so that your tire does not hit your fenders.
To add articulation I disconnect the sway bar, track bar, got the right shocks, extended break lines and made sure my Cad wires and hoses were long enough.
While you high side tire should stop a certain point by either the bumper of the spring holding all the weight your other tire should fall.
With doing little things to free up movement of the axle and looking at tire placement you can go most places.

I just did moab during Easter jeep week and I saw an older women in a yj with all terrain tires and a 2" lift go on the same trails as a fully built $80,000 rig. She just took her time and worried about tire placement. Not just the skinny pedal.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I appreciate the lengthy explanation. I have plenty of extra brake line length the cad I might see a problem with. I could do th Tj fender flare mod. I have the front trac bar removed the front sway bar disconnected. Being easy on the skinny pedal is a must. I have a stock d30 in front and an 8.8 in the rear. The shock are fine right now but I plan on changing out to bilstein 5100 for a 4 inch lift. My leafs might be sagging due to age. I will take pics tomorrow and ask for opinions. If I can remove those brackets on the front axel I would like to. The rubbing after a Tj flare I don't think would be a problem. I appreciate all the responses. Pics to come tomorrow.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Has anyone removed or cut down the bump stops...and did this cause problems??
Everyone removes their track bars and discos the sway bar to get more flex, but how much do you really gain if the axle is constantly hitting on the bump stops....

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Has anyone removed or cut down the bump stops...and did this cause problems?? Everyone removes their track bars and discos the sway bar to get more flex, but how much do you really gain if the axle is constantly hitting on the bump stops....
I don't have the bump stops, I run 33's 4" lift, 1 1/4" shackles, 1" BL and flat fenders, only problem I have is rubbing my fenders from the flex, I've went though a few set of front leafs, don't know if that's why but it doesn't bother me I get free replacements with my lifetime warranty. Never thought about that being the problem till now, but I'm not willing to lose my flex. I know this isn't a direct answer but I want to let you know my experience. No track bar or sway bar neither.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't have the bump stops, I run 33's 4" lift, 1 1/4" shackles, 1" BL and flat fenders, only problem I have is rubbing my fenders from the flex, I've went though a few set of front leafs, don't know if that's why but it doesn't bother me I get free replacements with my lifetime warranty. Never thought about that being the problem till now, but I'm not willing to lose my flex. I know this isn't a direct answer but I want to let you know my experience. No track bar or sway bar neither.
Thx for the info. I'm thinking I'll pull them off and just see what happens.... I can always put them back on or cut them down and reinstall. Thanks again

1 - 17 of 17 Posts