Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
94 YJ, 2.5L stock 146,000 miles failed the damn state emissions test.... here in the metro Atlanta racket...

The only part it failed was the NOx...

Allowed 1163ppm failed with 1218ppm on the 25/25 test
Allowed 1273ppm failed with 2226ppm on the 50/15 test

Any and all suggestions, comments, etc. would be greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
217 Posts
I hate emissions testing. Im sorry for your results, but I've never had to deal with emissions.so it's something i never worried about being from michigan. Just wanted to send condolences. IMO, big brother has gotten too big. We the people, need to take back our country. And stop letting them run our lives.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Emissions here are dumb, it's only 2 counties state wide and the exception for old vehicles is any vehicle made before 1981, so my 87 yj isn't exempt yet. The funny thing is "Classic" cars are exempt. So In 2 years I can apply for Classic plates and magically become exempt.

Makes.
No.
Sense.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Is that fuel injected? I had a cracked exhaust manifold and it caused high NO readings, after I welded it up it passed. Check for an exhaust leak before the O2 sensor. A vacuum leak can also cause high NO readings.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Beaker, yeah it sucks here too, only a handful here.
V, definitely will check that out. I did happen to notice a faint exhaust smell today and yes it is fuel injected. Thanks for the input

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
If you cant find any obvious visible problems, 9 times out of 10, its that you need a new 3 way catalytic converter.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I literally had the same problem 2 weeks ago with my 89. Failed bad put a new cat on with no muffler so it sounds badass now. Took to emissions and it passed flying colors. Almost as good as a new motor!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts