Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine has a 94 yj 4.0. He has been having a hard time starting it. He noticed that just after turning the key there was a clicking sound under the dash. If he waits for the clicking sound to stop it starts right up. If he doesn't waits it wont start. Any ideas. Thanks

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
most likely it is the starter relay mounted on the firewall in the engine bay.
it just sounds like it is under the dash.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So i'm guessing that the starter relay should just click once. and not keep clicking. someone else on another thread had a similar problem and they said a small wire coming off the starter going up the firewall was there problem. Scott do you know if that wire happins to go to the starter relay? thanks

·
Registered
551 Posts
Ok, I've got a few questions for you that may help narrow this down a bit.
1) Is the clicking when the key is turned to the ON position before turning to the START position?
2) Is it a constant clicking or one click followed by another a few seconds later?
3) If he doesn't let it finish clicking, will it not start at all, or does he have to crank it a long time to get it to start?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tyewilly
1. yes
2. clicking starts out fast then slows and stop
3. This one I beleve he has to let it stop clicking or it wont start at all. but not 100% sure. I'll talk to him today and find out for sure.
Thanks

·
Registered
551 Posts
From what you've said so far, it sounds like a fuel pump problem. Most likely a weak pump getting ready to fail. It sounds like the fuel system is losing prime when the jeep sits. When the key is turned on the fuel pump is energized for a couple of seconds building pressure back up allowing the jeep to start, but if you try to start it right off there isn't enough pressure. I would try to get my hands on a fuel pressure gauge to verify this, parts stores usually have them to rent out most of the time for free with a deposit. Also try to isolate the source of the clicking, it's most likely the fuel pump in the tank but sounds like it's coming from the dash while sitting on the jeep. If the clicking isn't coming from the pump, it may be the fuel pump relay which may be another problem all together with the electrical system, although I'd bet on the pump.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the same issue. After time it turned out to be all of the relays. Does the check engine light flicker when the relays click? For me it turned out to be my whole computer was shot. Pull off the connector and water poured out of it. Who would have thought water and electronics isn't a solid combo? :(

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
mine was the computer but my symptoms were just a little different.

Mine were;
Turn on key to no noise, jeep will not start.
Leave key on for 15-20 minutes (check engine light comes on at the same time the fuel pump cilcks) Then, it would start.

Without waiting for the click of the fuel pump, mine would not get any gas. A bunch of parts inside the computer were all cooroded up.

Sometimes I would wait 5 minutes and it would click, then start. Sometimes 10 and most of the time 20. It was my check engine light being timed with the fuel pump finally clicking that matched perfect to a bad computer symptom.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I would say it is the clicking of a relay in the power distribution box (under the hood in front of the battery). It is easy to tell which one with one persons finger on them while another person attempts to start the jeep. Knowing which one could tell more about a more serious problem. Could be a relay and just as easy a PCM on its way out...

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
^^^ Yeah... before I swapped my PCM I moved around my relays. I knew others were good so I moved them and tested without any change in symptoms.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts