Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago, my little brother(17) traded his 97 eclipse for a 94 wrangler. It had a shackle lift, M/T wheels and tires, 2.5L, and a 5speed. Pretty nice ride for a 17 year old...

the name came from my mother, which was a nickname she gave him a long time ago. Creeper. Since it was his Jeep, Creeper-Jeep.

The Jeep definitely wasn't perfect. It ran horrible. Swayed all over the road. No radio. No back window. Cracked windshield. No exhaust. Rust. LOTS of rust. Fenders were ate out. Tub was pretty bad. frame was pretty nasty behind the rear shackles.

So then, right after i moved home, he gets sent to what i like to call, "College" to finish out his high school.

While he has been away, he has been busting his rear to clean up his act and actually be a benefit to society, and i have had free realm to his YJ. MUAHAHAHAH

First issue was the lack of back window... Kinda. He installed the cheap plexiglas you get from lowes...

So i cut a trashbag to where it would open up, and duct taped it on there.

Next was the "Oh my god, I am going to die driving this thing" issues. When i started checking out the suspension, i noticed that all the bushing were toast, the balljoints are on their last leg, the TREs are on their last leg, the sway bar is long gone, and there is a particularly interesting Track Bar Relocation Bracket installed.... the PO took a flat piece of metal, drilled 2 holes in it, and used it to raise the track bar. :facepalm: When you would turn the wheels, the track bar bracket would actually move independently. I know this isn't supposed to happen on Ferds, which is what i am used to wrenching on, so i immediately went to work.

the track bar bushings were pretty nasty, so i looked up a price for them, and then looked up the whole track bar. I got a Moog track bar for cheaper than the bushing kit!:confused:

When i removed the one on the car, not only was the relocation bracket moving, the whole was "wallered-out" to an oval shape not only at the frame mount, but the axle mount as well. :eek:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So after seeing this, I broke out the cut off wheel, grinder, welder, 7/16" inner diameter toob and flat plate. I started by gusseted the lower mount on both sides to prevent the side to side movement. Then i drilled out the oval holes to fit my new sleeves, cut them down to size, squared the axle, then burned everything in. Grinded all of the mess smoothish, and mounted up the track bar.

Now up was the broken off steering stabilizer stud. It broke off clean with the leaf spring mount, so i drilled out the stud, retapped the hole, and mounted a new grade 8 stud with Ruff Country stabilizer.

I got a YJ swaybar for the price of a 12 pack and gas to get it, and luckily it already had disconnect ends on it. Since i had the factory swaybar links, i decided to build my own disconnects. I ordered some swaybar brackets from Davey's, and used some 5/16" ID tube to fit the disconnects. I drilled roset holes into the tube, welded everything in, and made the holes for trailer pins to mount. So now we have a swaybar, correctly mounted track bar, and a working steering stabilizer. the Creeper Jeep drives great down the road now.

Mount i worked on

Home made swaybar link.

View of the whole front axle and steering

I'm no metal arteeest or anything, just try my best to make a reliable weld. I realize the stepdown from the tube to the original link will be the weakest point, so it is one place i will definitely be watching.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So far i am in the Jeep 6 bucks for the metal and trailer pins, and 35 bucks for the track rod. The Drag link to Track rod angle isn't perfect, but it is a shit ton better than it was when i started.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Next on the list was the horrible running mess and the trash bag back window. My step dad, who owns a TJ, had an extra top at his house, and he gave me the back window to install into my little brother's jeep. I installed that, and picked up a set of rust free tan fenders to replace the rotted out ones.

now that i had a window, i needed to get the running rich issue taken care of. I'm horrible at trying to diagnose something, so i always ask others to do so. what it ended up being, was low on coolant. I never even thought of checking there as the Jeep never ran hot. After adding more antifreeze, there was still a gas smell around the jeep. I checked the gas tank, and noticed the lines to the fuel filter were dryrotted and cracking, allowing leakage. I replaced those, along with the fuel filter, and it is like a whole new jeep. Still lags on power, but its a 4 banger on stock axles and gears on 33s. I wasn't expecting power like a Porsche.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now came the front windshield. With the Jeep being out of state to begin with, it had to be inspected to be registered in KY. Well, if the windshield has a crack longer than 6", it fails.... Needless to say, the Creeper Jeep failed. A glass company came to replace the windshield to find the frame was completely rotted out.

Instead of replacing the frame like a normal person, i decided to invest an afternoon and a fender of a chevy truck into fixing this one. I cut all the rust out, then fitted newish sheetmetal into the gaping holes. After welding everything in, slapped some duraglass over all the spots to begin smoothing things out.

Everywhere there is duraglass in the above photo, i had to cut out and replace the metal.

a couple hours of sanding and a light coat of smooth filler later, the frame was primed, blocked and painted.

Its no show truck job, but well fitting for a 17 year old who didn't pay shit for it....

all i spent was a few hours time and some left paint supplies.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had a friend rewire the dash for the radio, that hadn't worked since i got it, and i cleaned out all the crap on the interior.

The inside of the tub has been Hurculined, which is fine for Corey (the brother). He bought these seat covers before he left, but they are way too big and slide all over. My mom is a pretty good seamstress, so she is going to "shrink" the covers to fit the seats a little better. The doors have wood panels over them. They don't seal against the top for shit, and there are big giant splatter welds were someone has modified them. Whatever.

So that brings us up to date. I have registered, reworked the steering, fixed the running issues, installed new windows, did some body work, and installed a radio. I'm under 500 bucks with everything including parts. Here it is as of now.

I still need to dolly out the 2 small dents in the replacement fenders, and install those. there are still some loose wires up under the dash that need to be fixed. Other than that, I'm pretty much done with this sucker until he gets back in March.

He wants to be able to go 4wheeling with me. I already have a pretty good rig, so i have all intentions of helping him hook this thing up.

Sorry for the rambling. Just like to put the reader in the story.

·
Oilfield Jeeper
3,294 Posts
First: You are an awesome brother to do something like that for his sibling & I tip my hat to you. I have a lot of respect for that.

Second: Awesome job on the Jeep :thumb: Definitely did a heck of a job on finding bargains.

Sweet thread, thanks for sharing

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
aww what a nice brother,fixing his car

are you gonna end up keeping it?
Thanks for the complement. I try to be a good role model for him as he easily falls into the wrong crowd just trying to fit in... Which is how he ended up where he is now.

As for the Creeper Jeep, he will get it back once he comes home. If he ever goes to sell it, i will buy it from him then. I have enough projects as it is. lol

First: You are an awesome brother to do something like that for his sibling & I tip my hat to you. I have a lot of respect for that.

Second: Awesome job on the Jeep :thumb: Definitely did a heck of a job on finding bargains.

Sweet thread, thanks for sharing
Thank you sir.

·
Registered
175 Posts
well so far you seem like a great role model, my older sister would punk me when she still lived here and would never think about fixing my car.....she's actually a jeep hater

how long has this project taken you?
and you done a great job I'ma send you mine once your done with your brothers jk

·
Registered
200 Posts
Great work, you have done enough to make it a driver, now when he's home you can get him to work on the rest with you. I think he will be stoked to see what you have done for him..

Whos is the hammered Vdub next to the jeep. You dont see many Chopped VW's around..

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well so far you seem like a great role model, my older sister would punk me when she still lived here and would never think about fixing my car.....she's actually a jeep hater

how long has this project taken you?
and you done a great job I'ma send you mine once your done with your brothers jk
Thanks for the complement. I moved back from San Diego in September, and I started tinkering with this jaheep in November.

I have always like the Jeeps, just never had one as my own.

You send me that TJ, i dunno if you will get it back :D

Great work, you have done enough to make it a driver, now when he's home you can get him to work on the rest with you. I think he will be stoked to see what you have done for him..

Whos is the hammered Vdub next to the jeep. You dont see many Chopped VW's around..
That was what i was striving for, so thanks. He says he wants to go crawling with me....

As far as the Chopped Vdub, i have no clue. That was the day he traded for it up in Indiana.

Nice work on the and using resorces!!! gald to see there is still some brotherly love in the world haha!
Thank you! It's still aparent here in Kentucky!

·
Registered
175 Posts
i love camping in San Diego
but you've done a lot to the jeep in such little time

that means you should borrow your brothers when ever you want

hahaa noo i need my car...ima just ship myself with it so i can make sure you do a good job.....jk

·
Registered
175 Posts
Heyy I always wanted to go there or Tennessee since I know its really different than here
I feel like breathing fresh air

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yea, LBC is about as North as i would go on the coast. I HATED LA. The smog was just horrendous. The traffic is horrible, the people suck. And its not even pretty! The only place that IS pretty is Malibu and it costs so much to live there, its insane.

I had a bunch of issues with San Diego too though. There were 2 things out there that i definitely DO miss.... The weather and the 4wheeling. We would go at least once a month, here, i have been twice.

·
Registered
175 Posts
yeah when i meet people from different states thats usually there reaction against California..
but yes its very polluted here and traffic is bad but I'm used to that so if i would go to Kentucky and only see three cars and no roads i would be scared jk

i thought there would be better trails out there

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nice job fixing it up, and finding deals! My older brother helps me a lot on my Yj.. Hopefully your bro will appreciate all you do when he gets home
Thanks buddy! Yea, he seems super happy to get home to enjoy it.

It still has a wiring issue. The radio will play for about 1 minute then go on the fritz with flashing lights and nothing can be done. It does this until you unplug the radio. It does it with every radio I have tried (3 different players that were working in other vehicles.)

yeah when i meet people from different states thats usually there reaction against California..
but yes its very polluted here and traffic is bad but I'm used to that so if i would go to Kentucky and only see three cars and no roads i would be scared jk

i thought there would be better trails out there
It's not the trails I miss, it's my club. A bunch of active and veteran Marines. We had some killer adventures. I will be back out there again. Just will be a few years.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts