Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son just lost his clutch this evening. The master is full of fluid. Took the slave off and it’s working fine but I can feel a lot of play in the clutch release fork. Back and forth. The clutch is about 3 months old!!

The only thing I can think of is that the springs on the clutch have gone because that’s the only place the pressure goes... right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
532 Posts
Curious what you found on this one. Yes, either a diaphram or the three finger type pressure plate provide the pressure the slave is fighting against. Kinda thinking out loud here if you keep pumping the clutch pedal and there is nothing to push the slave back in eventually the slave will be completely pushed out or depending on design,like a brake wheel cyl you;ll push the internals of the slave out of the body. Yes there will be play in the clutch fork if you move it back away from the pressure plate, how far depend on particular vehicle, but once the fork & TO bearing are up against the PP you'll never move it by hand.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
8thtimer, I'm embarrassed to have to report back on this :). Here's my troubleshooting process.

1. Took the slave off and checked it... pressure was good, fluid in the main. Seemed fine.
2. Dropped the bloody transmission far enough to see that everything inside the bell housing is clean and perfect.
3. Put the bloody transmission back.
4. Went back to the hydraulic line. Pumped it a bit, pushed on the slave piston, basically 'messed with it' for 5 minutes.
5. Put the slave back and it's perfect. DAMMIT!!!!

Not exactly sure what happened but it's good now.

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
3,915 Posts
You know how a dog likes it's belly scratched, Jeeps are like that...Sometimes they just want sh_t taken apart and put back together just so it knows you still love them.

Go Figure...

Reactions: jhendry

·
Registered
532 Posts
Hum, weird. Maybe an air bubble in the system. Kinda of a pisser to have to tear it down to find nothing wrong. Gotta love mechanical stuff. Like Got it at last said....she just needed some attention I recon.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I’m wondering if it was a bubble. I bled it and it looked good so we’ll see if it happens again. The ONE positive was that I taught me teenagers how to drive a stick (slowly and gently) without a clutch :).

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, it’s doing it again. It happened in the pouring rain again today - lost the clutch but then after a few attempts it came back. It’s not spongey but it seems to just disappear so that there’s no resistance at all. Pedal goes straight to the floor. Wait a few seconds, try it once or twice and suddenly it’s back. Happened both times in the rain but I don’t know if that has anything to do with us. Haven’t bled it yet but when it’s working, it’s not spongey at all

·
Super Moderator
12,668 Posts
I'm guessing the plunger in the master cylinder is on it's way out.
You're in luck. The '94 should have an external slave cylinder.
Not cheap, but simply buy a pre-bled master/slave assembly and you should be good to go.
If your master/slave assembly is new with the clutch, take it back if it's still under warranty.

Good luck, L.M.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts