Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 94 YJ with a blown automatic transmission. I have a replacement tranny, but I have heard that the jeeps have an external torx bolt at the top of the trans. Are these on the automatics as well? Or just on the manual models? I want to gather up all the tools needed before I jump in on this. I am a licensed mechanic, but I need some input on this one. I would also need to know what size they are. I have heard E-10, E-12, and E-14, and I don't know which one it is.

Thanks a bunch!

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Haven't removed an auto but my JEEP experience tells me they have never used a torqx that wasn't in the standard set I have. So pack the set and you should be good I know what you are refferring to it is on some later model 5 speeds and I guess could be on the auto. I am just used to packing my set all the time. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, I was just wondering. I have never seen much information on removing the automatics, and if they have the bolt. My guess (since I don't have the external torx socket) is that it will have them LOL. I can always hope for the best that it doesn't have them, but I wont know till I start into this build.

Does anyone know for sure what size they are?

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
It may just be a 12 point bolt too; never really seen an external torx.

Im not sure about size, but 1/2" 12 point comes to mind.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, removed the transmission on my YJ today. Turns out there were just regular 3/8" bolts with a 9/16" head on them. Phew.

Hope this helps anyone wondering about this on their automatics.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts