Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow Jeepers!

I am currently in the midst of my first Jeep build. I am swapping out my 4cyl 2.5 for a 92 Chevy 4.3L paired with a 93 AX15 tranny from a Cherokee. I have ran into a bit of a snag on my part and looking to the vast knowledge of my fellow jeep man or woman. My plan is to mate the 4.3 to the AX15 with the help of course from an Advanced adapters bell housing kit so they fit. My first question which will lead to many more is in regards to my clutch set up. I think that I can use a jeep clutch set up and pair that with a Chevy flywheel (if it fits) and hoping that they play well (any suggestions or better ideas are welcome). The other thought is to retain my current transfer case out of the 2.5. I read as long as my input shaft matches up with the teeth of the new AX15 that I will be fine. Before anyone asks my 4.3 engine came out of an automatic S-10 TrailBlazer and that's why I didn't use the whole powertrain. The last question I have is in regards to the wiring, I know this isn't the tech forum, but I didn't want to start an addition thread that lead out of this current one. I purchased a painless performance wiring kit for this build. It has everything labeled and seems like it will be an easy set up, but if anyone has tips or tricks as well as any experience with these kits please feel free to message me or post to this thread. Once I get more into the build I will post pics.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Let me know how this goes for you, I'm going to be doing the same swap this winter, I have a 96 4.3 so I will probably run into different problems.

·
Registered
848 Posts
You can get a lot of clutch set up information from Novak's web site. I needed to use Novaks adjustable throw out bearing to get the correct clutch arm geometry.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I wanted to do the same because I love the 4.3 but honestly I've looked more into it and a 350 with a chevy 4 speed trans and an adapter to mate the t-case to trans is what I'm leaning towards. Get a bigger dual core radiator and get a carburetor skip all the wiring and fuel injectors

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not a fan of carbureted engines unless it's in old muscle cars. I'm not a fan of it in wheeling vehicles especially if your changing elevation and/or crawling at angles. I want a v6 to keep somewhat of a fuel economy with some better power than I have now. I will keep you guys updated on the progress of the swap. The engine is currently broke down to just the block. Getting the heads dipped and shaved this week. Once I get more time I will upload pictures. Thanks for the replies.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts