Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am fairly new to this fourm And to jeep ownership. now that being said I bought a 95 jeep wrangler YJ With the 4cyl manual. And when I start it up it starts fine but when I'm in neutral it seems to still be in gear I think first. And when attempting to go into reverse it is like it just hits a wall and won't let it go into gear and when I pull hart and slowly let up on the clutch I can hear the gear grinding but it still go's forwards. And when I finally get it to go into reverse after like 30min of messing with it and I take off in first and clutch to second there just is no second gear or fifth and sometimes no third or first.... it's random as hell lol but no grinding it just won't go in to that gear. And 4x4 works but has the same shifting problem no vibrating or funky noises just no gears.... hope some one can help me.. Thanks Daniel

·
Registered
514 Posts
try this put the jeep in neutral let off the clutch then hit the clutch and try reverse.. reverse is a non syncro gear.. i would crawl under there and check your trans mounts on the cross member it sounds like somethings binding.. usually syncros wont go out in every gear and reverse is non synchronized.. if you park on a small incline and push the clutch see how far from the floor it is before it released.. could have air or low fluid in clutch system as well.. definitely would check the mounting first..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I let off the clutch while in nutral I go forwards because it's still in gear. I think it is still in first maybe but ya no neutral

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If Im on a hill and I press the clutch it's about 3 in from the floor and I start to move backwards but while I'm rolling and I go to put it in reverse it just stops rolling even with out the jeep running it's like. When I'm rolling backwards and then I approach putting it in reverse right before it would normally slide into reverse the jeep acts like I just put it in gear and let off the clutch it just acts like it's in gear and I never even let off of the clutch.

·
Registered
514 Posts
i would check your mounts fluid levels in tranny and make sure no air in clutch lines.. sounds like your syncros but i would checking everything else first.. might be time upgrade to a ax15

1 - 7 of 7 Posts