Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a small dull "pinging" for about a week but not noticeable enough to me to worry because of my hearing loss... just this morning it started getting progressively worse and now when in idle, there is a "clunking" pinging knocking sound. :banghead: Absolutely zero loss of power or anything burning. Drives normal and the noises generally go away when the RPM's are raised. Ive only done a basic tuneup in the last 2 weeks (spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, oil change, seafoam and air filter)...

So far I have checked the fan shroud thinking it was the fan hitting something but thats not it. The belt is fairly new. Took off valve cover gasket thinking a rocker arm or lifter was out of place but they all seem to be alright. Noise/feeling is coming from the front of the engine but is more noticeable on the bottom right next to the belt drive thats in front of the timing chain cover... I dont want to dive head into the engine bay without knowing what to look at and diagnose first and wasting a ton of money getting nowhere.... so Im heeding the call of fellow WranglerForum members! :D

Here are some basics.... its a 95 Wrangler 2.5l 5-spd. 159k. Daily driven with very few offroad hours. All major maintennance done by PO including the tune up I have given it. Not sure if the timing chain/sprocket was replaced, but that would be my first guess to take a look at.

Attached below is the link to a video I just now videotaped. I am pretty mechanically inclined and can do deep mechanical work. Help will be greatly appreciated, thanks! :thumb:

95 Jeep Wrangler 2.5l "knocking" - YouTube

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Timing chain is slapping the cover??? Worth a look and if it has never been replaced it should be time. There is a rubber guide also which should be replaced at the same time.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts