Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have the first piece of the puzzle on the way. Bought a 97 Dakota 2.5 bellhousing and need to know if my AX5 clutch release fork will work with the Dakota bellhousing. Will my current external slave cylinder work? I have done a little research and do not remember the answer to this issues. Any info on this swap will be welcomed as I would like to have all items needed before starting the swap to minimize the down time.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Cade said:
Have the first piece of the puzzle on the way. Bought a 97 Dakota 2.5 bellhousing and need to know if my AX5 clutch release fork will work with the Dakota bellhousing. Will my current external slave cylinder work? I have done a little research and do not remember the answer to this issues. Any info on this swap will be welcomed as I would like to have all items needed before starting the swap to minimize the down time.
Yes they will fit. Note that the bellhouse is two inches longer and your rear shaft will have to be shortened while front will have to be lengthened. I assume you know you will need a new clutch. If you do not have a sye i have a driveshaft that will fit. It is off my 95 so it has 1330 joints. You will also need a new input shaft for you tc, that can be very tricky to find the o e that fits your specific tc. They made a few different ones that look identical but are not interchangeable. Your 4wd shift lever wont bolt to an ax15 either. You will also have to notch your floor shifter hole. There may be more i am forgetting to mention. There is a lot to it, but the best thing i ever did to my drivetrain.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
You also need to adjust the lenth of the rod in the clutch slave. You need around 3/4" more

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Overkill. My plans are to find a complete trans/tc assembly from a doner. Will do the sye on that tc. Think I read the input shaft bearing on the crank had to be replaced too.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Cade said:
Thanks Overkill. My plans are to find a complete trans/tc assembly from a doner. Will do the sye on that tc. Think I read the input shaft bearing on the crank had to be replaced too.
Yes. Advance adapters has them for $20. But it drpends what year ax15 you get. Get nv3550 instead if you can. You lifted at all?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haven't done a lift yet. Put a 99 Explorer 8.8 in last year. Eventualy will go with a lift, larger tires and new set of gears. Already have a Cherokee front axel to build.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Cade said:
Haven't done a lift yet. Put a 99 Explorer 8.8 in last year. Eventualy will go with a lift, larger tires and new set of gears. Already have a Cherokee front axel to build.
Do lift at same time if you can. Makes no sense to have driveshaft redone after lift since you will need it if you go more than 2.5". Whats so special about cherokee front? I never heard of anyome doing that. I thought they had plain old dana 30's up front.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It does not have the axle disconnect on the passenger side. Housing is stronger and the inner axel on that side is one piece.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Cade said:
It does not have the axle disconnect on the passenger side. Housing is stronger and the inner axel on that side is one piece.
Whats the benefit vs getting a diff gaurd and doing the solid axle swap?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Beside having the stronger housing, I'll be able to build it up a little at a time and still be driving, the jeep is my dd to work.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Yeah i never looked at that. I am soa so i have high steer. When i pull it i will be going with a d44 high pinion up front that comes with bigb steer and larger brakes. I already have the 8.8 rear as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts