Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How difficult would this be. I hear something about having to clock the trans, but not sure why. Also how hard would be doing the clutch pedal and all those things.

·
Registered
13,758 Posts
The bolt hole circle on transfer case end of tranny is rotated rotating the transfer case so it sticks down lower

Clocking is drilling another set of holes so transfer case is in proper position/rotation for YJ/TJ mounting

Clutch control involved getting proper parts and bolting then in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,484 Posts
I bought a clocking jig online. Cost was around $40.00 to $45.00. I don't exactly remember.
It's a simple metal ring with the holes drilled in the correct position. I can't imagine trying to clock a Cherokee transmission without it. (Or, clock a Wrangler transmission for a Cherokee TC).

Simply bolt the jig to the back of the transmission and centerpunch where the new holes need to be drilled. On the transmission that I have it's easy to see if the jig is in the correct position. There's an undrilled boss that has some extra metal to indicate where the factory would drill the holes if the transmission were to be used in a Wrangler.

There were other jigs available but this was the simplest to use and the least expensive.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Super Moderator
10,484 Posts
What makes you think you need to do anything with the clutch or the clutch pedal?

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
My friend is currently planning on swapping an AX15 into his automatic YJ. The wirng for the neutral safety switch needs to be spliced together because if it's not the jeep will not start.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Oh, and you will need a crank pilot bearing/bushing. The factory bearing had a big spacer and i dont think they make them anymore so if you buy the bearing alone it will not fit the crank.

You will probably have to order a crank bushing from advance adapters

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am buying that transmission, slave cylinder, and pedals all for 150 bucks. Will the pedals and slave cylinder work in my Jeep or do I need ones from a wrangler

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Luckymac, do u know if I still have to clock the transmission if I’m still using my yj transfer case. Or is it even possible for me to use my transfer case. I would like to keep mine because I have an sye already.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
I am buying that transmission, slave cylinder, and pedals all for 150 bucks. Will the pedals and slave cylinder work in my Jeep or do I need ones from a wrangler

you cant use peddles from an XJ they are completely different

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Luckymac, do u know if I still have to clock the transmission if I’m still using my yj transfer case. Or is it even possible for me to use my transfer case. I would like to keep mine because I have an sye already.

the transfer case it's self has nothing to do with the clocking. It's the tail housing of the transmission that is clocked different you need to buy a jig and drill new holes.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh I see now. So the transmission stays in the original bolt holes to the engine and the tail housing of transmission gets drilled to accommodate the transfer case for the wrangler clearances instead of the Cherokee

·
Registered
4,107 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,484 Posts
This is the jig I bought. It's simple to use. No measuring, just bolt it to the back of the XJ transmission, centerpunch the location of where you want the holes (I seem to remember it's 15* in whichever direction that you need). Then, drill a pilot hole, remove the jig and drill the pilot hole out to the same size as the original hole.

Naturally it's important to drill the hole straight. If you drill the hole crooked the TC bolts will start but they won't go all the way through.

I don't remember the site where I bought it. If you need to buy one, PM me and I'll dig through my old invoices and hopefully be able to find it.

Good Luck, L.M.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts