Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fuel pump on my 95 wrangler 2.5 went out on me, and i am wondering which pump to get if i plan on upgrading to 19 lb. injectors in the future. Is a stock replacement sufficient? Should I just pull a used one from a junked 4.0? Is there an all-around better pump that I have not heard of yet? What other parts would i need to replace if I upgrade the pump? Thank you in advance for the tips and advice.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
My fuel pump on my 95 wrangler 2.5 went out on me, and i am wondering which pump to get if i plan on upgrading to 19 lb. injectors in the future. Is a stock replacement sufficient? Should I just pull a used one from a junked 4.0? Is there an all-around better pump that I have not heard of yet? What other parts would i need to replace if I upgrade the pump? Thank you in advance for the tips and advice.
Im running the 19lb injectors on an aftermarket but stock replacment pump and it works fine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im running the 19lb injectors on an aftermarket but stock replacment pump and it works fine.
Thank you for the info. Are the pumps on the 4.0 and 2.5 the same then? I haven't gotten very far into researching the fuel system of jeeps yet since I planned on doing this later down the road. We all know how jeeps like to change our plans though.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Thank you for the info. Are the pumps on the 4.0 and 2.5 the same then? I haven't gotten very far into researching the fuel system of jeeps yet since I planned on doing this later down the road. We all know how jeeps like to change our plans though.
If your fuel pump went out how far down the road do you expect to get?:beerme:

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I dont know. Best be way to check is search for just the pump and get the part number for both the 4.0 wnd 2.5. Then see if they are the same. I can only really see them being different for gpm.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If your fuel pump went out how far down the road do you expect to get?:beerme:
I made it about 5 feet from the gas pump. Little beggar waited for a full tank of fuel before it died. I also heard it could be the fuel pressure regulator. Is there a way to test this before I start throwing parts at the problem?

·
Registered
829 Posts
I would get a complete fuel pump/sending unit. Don't get a used one, you don't know what you are getting. Spend the cash and do it right, the first time. Bosch pumps seem to have a pretty good reputation. YMMV.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I made it about 5 feet from the gas pump. Little beggar waited for a full tank of fuel before it died. I also heard it could be the fuel pressure regulator. Is there a way to test this before I start throwing parts at the problem?
Funny mine started acting up after I filled her up. But yes you can test the pump. With everything turned off , turn the key on and you should hear the pump turn on, it should hum pretty loud. If you dont you can check the relay and fuses to make sure they are good. Most likely your pump is bad. Not sure any way to test the regulator without a pressure guage.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bought a new pump and screen. Took an evening of wrestling the tank, but got it swapped out and the jeep started right up. I also confirmed that the 2.5 and 4.0 pumps are exactly the same.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And in the worst turn of luck, my jeep did the same thing a week after replacing the pump. I think the pump is still ok, and the relay appears to be good. I heard somewhere that the next things to check were the fuel pressure regulator and the sending unit. Where are those and how to i test them? And correct me if i am wrong about the parts or part names. Still kinda new to the self-mechanic game. Thanks for the help guys!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts