Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping someone can help me. I got a 95 yj, I off road a decent amount, last week while the car was stopped I engaged my 4WD, as soon as I engaged it it started making a vibrating rattle sound. I drove on it nothing happened, after exceeding 25mph the sound went away and I continued to off road. Anyone have an idea on what this might be? Thanks

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Auto or stick? And you have no reason to be going over 25mph in 4wd. If you do that on pavement it is a real good way to stretch your chain or damage your transfercase severely.
Basically there is a chain that connects your front drive shaft to your rear. Any variation between the two, especially over 25mph on pavement will destroy something, probably the chain. As far as the noise, not sure what it could be. It is possible it was the split shaft connecting in the front axle, but probably not. Whatever it is if it started when you werent moving it is vacum line related. Anything else would not make noise until you moved. And please dont use 4wd until you cant get there in 2wd. Dont be one of those people who shift into 4wd everytime you see a snowflake. Your Jeep doesnt like that. It wants mud or deep snow in 4WD and lots of it.:punk:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's stick, sorry for the mix up I wasn't usinh 4wd on pavement It was in the mud going roughly 20 to 25 mph. I kno better then to do it on pavement haha. But actually I just went up n looked at my T case and cleared a lot of the mud n clay out from around the shafts n what not, and the sound has gone away? So I'm think it was just some hardened clay? Not sure but ill let you kno if it happens again. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Sshock517 said:
It's stick, sorry for the mix up I wasn't usinh 4wd on pavement It was in the mud going roughly 20 to 25 mph. I kno better then to do it on pavement haha. But actually I just went up n looked at my T case and cleared a lot of the mud n clay out from around the shafts n what not, and the sound has gone away? So I'm think it was just some hardened clay? Not sure but ill let you kno if it happens again. Thanks!
That makes sense.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts