Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...this past week I replaced the spark plugs, distributor cap, rotor and wires just to update the ignition part of the engine cause it hasn't been done in a long time and now the engine cranks but just won't start. The plugs are at the correct gap, all the wires are tightly fastened on the plugs and dist cap. I just can't seem to figure out why it won't turn over...did a spark test at night and I have spark so that's not the problem, I also have a full tank of gas and I replaced the fuel filter about a month ago so that's not the issue.
I did notice that there was oil on the spark plugs inside the engine...is this bad? Also, could the ignition control module have gone bad?
Any advice would be great thank you everyone.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
if it failed to crank right after you did all that then most likely the problem is not in the fuel system but rather in something that you did...assuming that you replaced everything with the correct parts then the first thing I would suspect would be the positioning of the plug wires...the number one cylinders wire where it should be and then the correct firing order on the remainder

·
Registered
101 Posts
I agree with Harley, I just have my jeep a tuneup 2 weeks ago. And went to crank it and nothing, starter was the only thing clicking. Turns out I plugged in the plug to the ignition coil wrong

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses...I'm sure the wires are in the circa order and to the correct plugs...but I will go check that right now

·
Registered
59 Posts
i would agree with harley also, I have also had a problem like this after a tune up but it turned out my distributer went out at the same time as the tune up.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Harley...went out today and reinstalled all the ignition tune up parts I mentioned and put it back together but still cranks just won't start...also sounds like its misfiring while trying to start...should I buy a new ignition coil? Everything else checks out which seems to puzzle me a little bit...I have spark, battery is fine, full tank of gas, plenty of oil...just confused on what to do next except for taking it to the mechanic

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
are you sure that the number 1 plug wire is on in the same position that it was before ?? thats sure what it sounds like.......if you have spark then the coil is working

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm very sure the wires are where they should be from the old wire pattern...it fires in clockwise position and the number 1 wire to the number one plug match up and the others are correct I'm sure of it

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
man,I don't know...you would think that if it was running good and then you change items and then it doesn't run that something that was changed would be the problem..I'm sure that you have looked at everything to make sure that it was the proper parts,installed correctly and no wires got unplugged or broken

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ya man I don't know either...might be time for the mechanic to take a different look at it haha...I even looked all over the forum for the wire diagram and it fires in the order of 1-3-4-2 and my wires are set up like that perfectly...I used some quick starting fluid also but that doesn't seem to help much either...it cranks but just won't turn over...could that be alternator or starter?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It is a little cold outside now so that could also be part of the problem but ill wait until later to try and start it in warmer conditions

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ouch that wouldn't be good...a friend of mine who is also a car guy said the starter might not be good anymore so I'm gonna give that a few knocks and see if it will start then

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Believe it or not I got her started after a few bangs on the starter...I'm thinking I just might have to replace it

1 - 16 of 16 Posts