Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 95 on a 450 mile round trip run this weekend, and developed a loud exhaust leak, my thought was it was a donut gasket, or hole in a pipe. I got home yesterday and found a small hole in a pipe just north of the muffler, patched it with JB weld for now.
But while checking on the donut gasket (discovered there isn't one) I noticed one of the bolts attaching the pipe to the manifold was sheared off, but was missing etc, and noticed the other bolt was welded to the manifold flange, because the flange had cracked with the previous owner, and he spot welded the bolt to what was left of the manifold flange, rather than replace the manifold.
I replaced the sheared bolt, then attached the other side to the welded bolt, and as I tightened it down, the weld broke. Defeated and desperate because it is my only ride at the moment, I took the rest of the JB weld and put a huge gob of it over the busted weld. This morning no loud exhaust noise like yesterday, but I'd be foolish to think it will hold for long.
My question (finally) is, is the flange on the manifold removable itself? I noticed a large nut on the side of it, but did not attempt to remove it for fear of screwing something else up. I could not find a flange as an individual part, after multiple searches.
I dread the thought of changing the manifold myself after reading stories of bolts shearing off in the intake, and I just spent $500 for someone to fix my lost 5th gear, plus I think clutch master and slave are dying. Any insight is appreciated!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
First of all 2.5 or 4.0?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Is it a 4 or 6 cylinder engine?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts