Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I accidentally posted this in the TJ forum first, so maybe I'll have better luck over here..:doh:

I'm about to replace the stock leaf springs on the YJ and was wondering if anyone has replaced all of them with 5 leaf packs. Will this give my jeep a saggy stance in the rear after the springs have settled or does it level the Jeep out and stay that way? Any input would be appreciated!

Here's a picture of the Jeep

Attachments

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I replaced mine with the general spring heavy set all the way around. It rides way better now and I gained over and inch of clearance. I don't think the springs will sag quickly, maybe over 10 or so years, but not in months. If the springs you have on now are stock then they've been through over 20 years of abuse, and they're not too saggy from what I can see in your picture.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I replaced mine with the general spring heavy set all the way around. It rides way better now and I gained over and inch of clearance. I don't think the springs will sag quickly, maybe over 10 or so years, but not in months. If the springs you have on now are stock then they've been through over 20 years of abuse, and they're not too saggy from what I can see in your picture.
Thanks for the reply! I saw in your signature that you also have a 1/2" shackle lift as well as the heavy duty springs. Did you get any drive line vibes or have to mess with the transfer case or anything like that?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
No driveline or transfer case vibes, it was a relatively easy swap. I would recomend spraying all the bolts and nuts down with some WD-40 or PB Blaster for a week or so before. Maybe replace the hardware with grade 8 stuff.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
I just lifted mine and I had to cut out all of the main eye bolts and one or two of the shackle bolts. Main eye bolts are 9/16" shackle bolts are 1/2". They're about 4"-4.5", I have both lengths because 9/16" was only available in 4". Also Lowe's has the 9/16 and Home Depot doesn't. I've heard good things about the general springs.

·
Super Moderator
13,961 Posts
I have the heavy duty General Springs all around on my '87. It worked out great for me.

The biggest issue was having to cut the main eye bolts. I used a Sawzall and bi-metal blades. On three out of the four main eyes the bolt was so rusted in the bushing I couldn't pound it out even after I had the spring out. I used Antisieze during assembly.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I wouldn't get hung up on the number of springs in the pack. Call Alcan Spring. They are a custom spring manufacturer. They can make custom springs for any application. They will need to know how much each axle weighs on the scale. Custom Springs are a better option but not cheaper option. Having run off the shelf springs and now running custom springs I can't go back. There are other custom spring manufacturers. I don't know who make the best? I have used Alcan Spring and I'm very happy with them.

Off the shelf springs last a few months each time for me. Custom springs went 7 or 8 yrs. At least call them for a price quote. Also recommend new Ubolts.

Alcan Spring - Manufactures Fine Custom Leaf Springs

·
Registered
408 Posts
Atlas springs is another manufacture. I do not have personal experience with either but a few members the club I am a member of use both companies and I have only heard good things about them. If you do not want to go through all that work, you could also consider a set of Old man emu springs, they ride great. I would look at their light rated springs, you might get an inch and a half lift.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.