Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am a 1 week old Jeep owner and developed a motor tick over the past few days. I found it today. Ran a compression check, all cyclinders were between 142-148psi. so I pulled the valve cover, when I got a look I saw my problem. #1 cyclinder had broken valve springs, 1st cyclinder back push rod was bent in the shape of a "V" the front push rod was M.I.A. so I pulled the head and took a look. Found the push rod in 2 halves in the lifter valley, and much to my suprise #1 lifter had popped out and was also laying in the lifter valley by cyclinder #2. Cyclinder walls were smooth as can be with absolutely no ring grooves. Pistons were very clean and nice and tight. Head goes to machine shop tomorrow to have the head resurfaced and a valve job done. order new lifters, pushrods, and a gasket set and gonna put her back together. Cam looked good, everything else looked good and rotated over smoothly.:banghead:

·
Registered
357 Posts
Glad you found it, but I wonder what caused it?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I'll just bet you wish you were as good looking as you are LUCKY...... :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I figured the valve spring broke causeing the rocker to get slack in it. When it went slack I guess the pushrod came up then got snapped and fell through. with no pressure on the lifter I assume the cam just kicked it up and out. the other pushrod was bent adn wedge in the rocker and lifter so it couldnt come out.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
What about the oil pressure?? I seem to recall you said the oil pressure dropped to zero. I sure hope you did not snap the cam...Does the distributor turn?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cam is Perfect, turned the motor over and watched it through the lifter holes. Its very shiny and smooth, no chips, or knicks in it. Watch the oiling system, spray a nice golden brown oil over the entire cam. I put a lifter in each lifter spot just one at a time and held a push rod on by hand and went from hole to hole cranking. Cam popped up lifter and push rod for each one perfectly.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
If that happen in a week after you got it , you must have reved it like a Jap motor! LOL :eek:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Ouch

Glad to hear you solved you problem. I got a brand new CRANE cam for the I6 4.0L if iterested, don't have a matching set of lifters for it though. You can use the ones you have and it will work. It is just a stock lobed cam. $70, you pay shipping.:wavey:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Oh no, I am having the same issue. How much is this gonna cost you? I have to run in Monster Jam next week and don't want to shit the bed for a show.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
costing me right at $500. thats a complete new set of push rods, a complete new set of lifters, a brand new head ready to go(machine shop called mine was cracked) and a complete upper end gasket set, new plugs, and hoses. im doing all labor myself

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Started at 5 pm last night and finished in about 3 hrs. That's installing new lifters, head gasket, head, pushrods, intake and exhaust manifold, hooking up all hoses and wires, new plugs and filling radiator back up. Runs great!!!!

·
Registered
247 Posts
wow nice! hope that's not why mine is ticking haha. luckily it's just my exhaust manifold making noise. glad you're up and running

·
Registered
52 Posts
Oh boy...I have a slight ticking in mine I figured it was a lifter most likely. I guess I should pull the valve cover and take a look. When I got my oil changed(yes I had a shop do it and i'm not proud of that) last time, I starter it up the morning after and had a ticking but it went away once the oil pressure built up(over 40psi). I have 108k on it now and was thinking of running a different oil. I think believe they used 5-30. What do you guys suggest I run? I was gonna go with 10-40 this time considering i'm 3500mi since the last change(woops). I have added 1qt since then which actually impressed me.

·
Registered
142 Posts
2.5L Just by listening, how can I tell the difference between a lifter 'tick' and a rod 'knocking'? Engine runs smooth. Uses no oil and pressure is around 50 lbs. Gets 14 - 15 mpg. I can hear it mostly at idle.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts