Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help, I got a 95 wrangler when my brother in law passed away. I thought it had the 4.0 until I started the the rebuild I want to do. It has not been taken car of in the past, so I am going to do new suspension, steering, interrior, bumpers, winch, tires and wheels. But this motor throws a new wrinkle in the rebuild. I don't know much about the 4.2, should I keep it or go back to a 4.0 or ? what can anyone tell me about this engine. Thanks

·
Registered
214 Posts
4.2 is usualy carburated-4.0 fuel injected,,i have 4.2 with no complaints other than the crappy carb---4.2 has a lot of torque.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is a 4.2 for sure. All I can figure out is some where along the engine was swapped for the 4.2. Is the 4.2 a good engine, it has 165,000 on it, runs pretty well. I did a full turn up and new fuel pump.

·
Premium Member
2,230 Posts
The 4.2 is rated at 210 ft lbs of torque @ 2000 rpm. The 4.0 is rated at 220 ft lbs @ 4000 rpm. More power at lower rpms may be a benefit depending on tire size and gearing. The biggest difference is the crappy carb on the 4.2. If you can find a Motorcraft 2100 you will be much happier with it.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Are you sure the Jeep is a '95?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thought it was a 95, really is a 90. Like I say inherited it from brother in law when he passed. It has had no maintenance for years. I am going to rebuild the whole thing over the next year. Can I do away with the stock air cleaner and some of the vacume line on the carb with new motorcraft. I am sure I can find one at the local parts store. The money is not the issue, I just want to do it right and have it run and be dependable. How about a motor rebuild with some more horse power and torque. All suggestions would be great. My plan now is a 2.5 in rubicon lift, 265-75-16 tires and wheels, bumpers, winch, paint, steering, and heaven knows what all.

·
Registered
988 Posts
You can have the engine rebuilt and over bore it which will give you a little more horse power. Other than that, add ons like a new carb and less restrictive exhaust will help you get more power. But I'd try swapping a 4.0 into that Jeep. :)

·
Registered
372 Posts
If your going to do a motor swap, I wouldn't put in a 4.0. A 4.0 is good from the factory, but I would never pay the money to swap that in. If your going to do a swap just go for a small block in whatever brand you are more comfortable with. Chevy-350 or LS, Ford-5.0, Dodge-318 or 360. Otherwise, I would rebuild the 4.2, replace the carb, and if you can remove every piece of emissions garbage on that thing.

·
Registered
486 Posts
A 4.0 HO head swapped on the 4.2 is said to make a HUGE difference. It is on my list of things to do for my "89"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts