Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My old engine had a broken piston skirt. So I picked up a used engine. We finished putting it in and it won't start. I am getting a p0320. When installing the replacement engine We loosened the bolts holding the CPS and moved it out of the way to keep it from being damaged. It did get crushed a little when we raised the transmission to meet the engine upon installation. I understand it may be the CPS. However, I cannot figure out when I am at compression TDC when I put the distributor in. Wouldn't I get a P0320 for the distributor being 180 degrees out of time? I have removed the distributor and reinstalled it when the notch has lined up with "0" on the timing mark twice. I got the same P0320 error after removing the distributor and turning the crankshaft 360 degrees. I thought maybe I installed the distributor at TDC on the exhaust stroke originally. The jeep actually ran real well before I pulled the old engine-just noisy. I get no spark now. Any ideas?

Thanks, Ron

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just plugged in my code reader and I do not get any RPM readings while trying to start the jeep. Is that a further indication that the problem is a CKP sensor? I would think if the computer does not see an RPM it would mean it is not seeing the engine turn to give ignition.

Help?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Correct regarding crank position sensor. Check working and connections before condemning sensor just to be sure that isn't where the problem lies

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Found cut wire at the sensor. Looks like it was damaged by pinching it between the body and bell housing. i reset the timing and it starts and runs well.

Thanks for your help AU

1 - 5 of 5 Posts