Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. The woman said she was going about 50mph and it just revved like the clutch was pushed in. It didn't pop out of gear. She said it makes a wierd noise. All the other gears are ok. It has @130k on it. Fluid has been changed regularly. Can I just buy the $50 rebuild kit at Parts America and do a rebuild, or does it seem like I'm going to have to find what part broke and replace that? Any idea what part controls the 5th gear?

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
How does it shift in the other gears. Any sounds? How does the the clutch feel starting out etc.

·
Registered
71 Posts
5th is usually the first to go on the AX5. If you have plenty of spare time and are very mechanically inclined, you can do the rebuild. I've never personally rebuilt an AX5 (just a T150), but I hear it is just about the worst one to take on. If it were me, it would be going to a tranny shop.

·
I got nothin'
1,901 Posts
Yeah, sounds like 5th gear is just gone! You will probably start losing others soon though!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've done to many car repairs. I'm in the middle of a 3000gt top end rebuild. I love 4 cam engines. I really haven't gotten into much more than this on this problem. Do I need any special tools for the tranny rebuild? If I buy a tranny somewhere, what models have that tranny? Cherkee have that? Thanks for the help.

·
I got nothin'
1,901 Posts
Every Wrangler from 87 to at least '02 has that manual tranny behind the 2.5L. I don't think that the Cherokees used them though...

·
Registered
71 Posts
If you could find the article that would be an interesting read. I'm not questioning you, I'd just like to be as well informed as possible. Plus, I'm patiently waiting for my AX-5 to poop out and would like an option other than a SM465 or SM420.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I hear that the ax-5 has a clip that breaks\comes undone from 5th. Nephew of a friend told me he even tried to weld it. Didn't work.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts