Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried swapping out the fuel pump in my 97 TJ today and ran into a bit of an issue. The pump I pulled out of the tank was installed by the PO and poorly done. The connection to the fuel line was hanging on by a thread and the seal for the pump had fallen into the tank causing gas/vapor to leak and the float to read incorrect values all the time.

I ran by Autozone and grabbed an Airtex pump for a 15 gallon tank assuming that's what I had. After some further reading and research it appears that I have a 19 gallon tank, but also that all the tanks are the same and just require a mod (?). Anyhow, when I tried to install the Airtex it was about 3/4" too tall. It wouldn't fit in the tank and would bottom out the springs before I could get the collar back on to secure it. Tried with two separate people who really know about cars and they said the same thing.

I'm going to try taking it back to AZ and getting the only other pump I could find in stock which is Performance brand by O'Reilly unless someone can convince me otherwise. Anyone know why the Airtex wouldn't fit or why it's the standard if it doesn't? I'm sure I'm overlooking something very simple.

Thanks in advance, sorry if this is a pointless thread!

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
1st off tale the Airtex back and pick up a Bosch. Airtex and Jeep don't mix. Quality is subpar at best.

2nd, you have to push the pump down to seat it, it is kinda like spring loaded.

I can't recommend to you enough to stay away from Airtex!!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I knew about the spring, but I still needed 1/4-1/2" clearance. I got a pump from O'Reilly because it's all I could find locally and I needed to get back on the road. It is much closer to fitting but still missing just a bit... the collar will start to thread but pop back off. I'm going to try loosening the straps after I figure out how.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Didn't have to pull the straps out. If anyone else runs into this problem here's what I did.

Put a 2x4 on each side of the tank under the skid do the bowl at the bottom is off the ground before installing the pump. This will allow the bottom to expand down and let the pump fit.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
1st off tale the Airtex back and pick up a Bosch. Airtex and Jeep don't mix. Quality is subpar at best.

2nd, you have to push the pump down to seat it, it is kinda like spring loaded.

I can't recommend to you enough to stay away from Airtex!!!

Yep we sell Airtex at the shop I work at now, along with Bosch, I will do my darnedest to talk a customer out of the Airtex. See way too many of them come back, most within the first year. Not one Bosch.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep we sell Airtex at the shop I work at now, along with Bosch, I will do my darnedest to talk a customer out of the Airtex. See way too many of them come back, most within the first year. Not one Bosch.
Know anything about the oreilly brand? I think it was Precision

·
Registered
42 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I had the same issue a few months ago. I bought a fuel pump from O Reillys that was supposed to fit my 2005 TJ, but I just could not get it to go all the way in.

Just wanted to share my solution, if anyone else has this problem. Probably seems pretty stupid, but it worked and I haven't had any issues. Take the pump apart, trim the legs down, and put it back together.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts