Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. I'm stumped. I have tried:

• headlight switch brand new
  • dome dimmer switch is turned off
  • pulling door defeat fuse does nada
  • continuity door switches correct
  • door switch depth adjusted
  • ten minute delay thing nope
  • pulling IOD fuse kills them

They were working properly and now they don't.

It's an early build date 1997 TJ Sport.

I have everything out again and can get to just about anything under/behind the dash to check. It has worked fine for the last 7 years.

Pic kinda related...

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,442 Posts
^ Above

The door switches either short to ground or like the one I had fail, the adjusting nut stripped so the door pushed the entire switch forward to the point that the passenger door no longer opened the circuit in the switch. I replaced the switch.

Unlike most circuits in the Jeep, the door switches are on the ground side instead of the hot side of the circuit. The circuit goes through the fuse to the lights and then to the switch so if the switch fails or shorts to ground, instead of blowing a fuse, it activates the lights.

Temporarily, pull fuse #4, labeled "door switch defeat". I actually installed a Quadratec switch which replaces the fuse (moved into the switch wiring) so you can simply flip a switch rather than pull the fuse when the doors are off. A bit pricey, but includes the switch and mounting plate and saves a lot of wiring time.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Ok. I'm stumped. I have tried:

• headlight switch brand new
  • dome dimmer switch is turned off
  • pulling door defeat fuse does nada
  • continuity door switches correct
  • door switch depth adjusted
  • ten minute delay thing nope
  • pulling IOD fuse kills them

They were working properly and now they don't.

It's an early build date 1997 TJ Sport.

I have everything out again and can get to just about anything under/behind the dash to check. It has worked fine for the last 7 years.

Pic kinda related...

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
Digger probably has the correct solution.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts