Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new’ish to the Jeep world and want to learn everything I need to know as time goes on.
I have a 97 6cylinder sitting on 33’s with a small lift. I bought it that way. I cut off the catalytic converter because we don’t need that in Arkansas and not to mention it was clogged. When I’m going down the highway, I’m maxing out at about 60-63mph. How do I go about this? I don’t need to go fast, there meant for i’m not getting stuck and not for speed but I would like a little bit more speed then 60mph. Is it just my tire size and the small lift that has slowed it down?

I have another question about the brakes. I put new rotors on the front with pads and new drum brakes in the back and had all the tires bled thanks to a friend helping me out. The brakes still feel like a sponge and I don’t understand why.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Auto or manual? What are the engine RPM at 60? Might be that the Jeep hasn't been regeared to suit the 33s and might not have the speedo gear swapped, so you might be going faster than you think. GPS would confirm speed.

The brakes cant soft if the drums aren't properly adjusted. You'd have to raise a wheel enough to turn it, and turn the star adjuster through the hole where the rubber plug is on the bottom of the backing plate. If you do that till there's slight drag at each wheel it might help.

I'll also add, I knocked the broken innards out of the cat on my TJ years ago whilst I was waiting for a replacement to ship. I found I lost performance and used more fuel with it hollowed out.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I'll also add, I knocked the broken innards out of the cat on my TJ years ago whilst I was waiting for a replacement to ship. I found I lost performance and used more fuel with it hollowed out.
Computer might not be able to figure out what the O2 sensors are telling it, if there is nothing happening in between upstream and downstream sensors. Computer might think it is too lean, so lets dump more fuel in...

·
Knows a couple things...
49,626 Posts
Hello, I am new’ish to the Jeep world and want to learn everything I need to know as time goes on.
I have a 97 6cylinder sitting on 33’s with a small lift. I bought it that way. I cut off the catalytic converter because we don’t need that in Arkansas and not to mention it was clogged. When I’m going down the highway, I’m maxing out at about 60-63mph. How do I go about this? I don’t need to go fast, there meant for i’m not getting stuck and not for speed but I would like a little bit more speed then 60mph. Is it just my tire size and the small lift that has slowed it down?

I have another question about the brakes. I put new rotors on the front with pads and new drum brakes in the back and had all the tires bled thanks to a friend helping me out. The brakes still feel like a sponge and I don’t understand why.
Very likely from the gear ratio inside your axles making the engine's cruising rpms too low for the bigger diameter 33" tires. The bigger the tires, the lower the rpms the engine will turn at any given speed. Regearing the axles costs $1300 to 1600 on average and will produce a more than dramatic boost in performance.

On the brakes, were the front brake calipers completely removed and replaced? If so it's easy to get them installed back onto the opposite sides which then makes it impossible to bleed all of the air out of the brake lines and air in the lines means spongy brakes. Getting the front brake calipers installed onto the wrong/opposite sides causes the air bleed valve to be positioned below the brake line which makes it impossible for the bleed valve to get air out of the brake line.

This is how the brake line and bleed valve should look with the bleed valve being positioned above the brake line connection point.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Something funky for sure. I put 150k on a 4.0 97 TJ and it was a fairly peppy beast. Sensors may be giving bad readings, or something is seriously out of whack (or iCT’s been regeared with gears for very low speed. What revs are you getting?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts