Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and looking for advice on a '97 Sahara I just took for a test drive. The seller is asking 10k which I think is too much but hoping to get some insight on what would be a reasonable offer. KBB values it at a range of 3.7k to 6.2k which seems low. Below are some more details. I had an '05 rubi that was totaled last year but I inherited it from family so this will be my first time purchasing a jeep.

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
145,000 miles
Automatic
4.0 L 6-cylinder engine
Hard roll up windows
Owner's Manual
3" lift
Newer 33" tires. Less than 5,000 miles on them. All 5 match.
Jeep caps took off an 88 and mounted
Brand new Sierra Off Road top.
Bikini top never used.
Engine valve job a year ago.
New Fuel Pump.
Most sensors replaced.
Rebuilt trannie 5,000 miles ago.
Painted hood to get rid of the Jeep fade.
seat covers on it for 8 years, so the original seats are in great shape.
Slide Bars
Tow Package
New radio with USB to play music from your phone
car has had 3 owners - all in southern California - so little to no rust

Any insight/advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and looking for advice on a '97 Sahara I just took for a test drive. The seller is asking 10k which I think is too much but hoping to get some insight on what would be a reasonable offer. KBB values it at a range of 3.7k to 6.2k which seems low. Below are some more details. I had an '05 rubi that was totaled last year but I inherited it from family so this will be my first time purchasing a jeep.

145,000 miles
Automatic
4.0 L 6-cylinder engine
Hard roll up windows
Owner's Manual
3" lift
Bikini top never used.
New Fuel Pump.
Most sensors replaced.
Slide Bars
Tow Package

Pictures would help, especially of the frame. Price does not seem unreasonable. Did you compare it to other Saharas?

·
Registered
77 Posts
As mentioned above, the price is pretty much fair market value out west, provided there's no rust or other issues. From what you're describing, it seems to be a good SoCal Jeep. A reasonable offer would be $9000. If it has been sitting on the market for a bit, you could try $8500, but some sellers aren't in a rush to sell.

·
Registered
77 Posts
No way! Or is everyone smoking crack?
That's usually the ballpark I see them listed. Whether they ultimately end up selling close to or at asking is another thing. Occasionally lower priced ones in good condition pop up, but they end up going quickly. The only way to be aware of those if to be glued to sites like CL and Facebook Marketplace.

Example. This '99 TJ Sport got listed in my area yesterday asking $7500 with just under 120k miles. Minus the faded trim, it seems to be in good shape and if it was always an AZ Jeep, then rust shouldn't be a problem. From prior experience, this listing won't last long

https://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/d/tucson-1999-jeep-wrangler-sport/7083178288.html

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just checked and it already appears to be sold. Seller posted it late last night. To the OP, good deals pop up, but as I mentioned, you need to be on top of it to snag one. Just wait things out a bit a good deal will come.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi All,

145,000 miles
Automatic
4.0 L 6-cylinder engine
Hard roll up windows
Owner's Manual
3" lift
Bikini top never used.
New Fuel Pump.
Most sensors replaced.
Slide Bars
Tow Package

I'm also in the market. That number is quite high compared to what I'm seeing. For comparison, I'm eyeing a 2003 Rubicon w/ 135K on a 4.0L/5 speed at $8500. It has a slight amount of rust but is otherwise stock.

Key question I would ask is why was the transmission rebuilt? At this mileage and age it shouldn't be necessary unless they were hauling very heavy items or otherwise hard on the vehicle.

d-

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Just checked and it already appears to be sold. Seller posted it late last night. To the OP, good deals pop up, but as I mentioned, you need to be on top of it to snag one. Just wait things out a bit a good deal will come.
A vehicle that sells a few hours from posting is typically a below market deal. A vehicle that has been for sale for weeks is typically above market. We all want to buy low and sell high. Waiting for the deal and being ready to pounce on a moments notice will get you a low buying price, while listing high and putting effort into the sale will allow you to sell as high as possible. It is very hard to assert an exact value on TJ, because there is no such thing. The only advice I would give is that rusted Jeeps are not worth your time, and over paying for a clean Jeep will soon be forgotten.

·
Retired Moderator
105,576 Posts
I'm also in the market. That number is quite high compared to what I'm seeing. For comparison, I'm eyeing a 2003 Rubicon w/ 135K on a 4.0L/5 speed at $8500. It has a slight amount of rust but is otherwise stock.

Key question I would ask is why was the transmission rebuilt? At this mileage and age it shouldn't be necessary unless they were hauling very heavy items or otherwise hard on the vehicle.

d-
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.

·
Registered
77 Posts
A vehicle that sells a few hours from posting is typically a below market deal. A vehicle that has been for sale for weeks is typically above market. We all want to buy low and sell high. Waiting for the deal and being ready to pounce on a moments notice will get you a low buying price, while listing high and putting effort into the sale will allow you to sell as high as possible. It is very hard to assert an exact value on TJ, because there is no such thing. The only advice I would give is that rusted Jeeps are not worth your time, and over paying for a clean Jeep will soon be forgotten.
Yep. I started hunting for TJs/LJs around Aug/Sep of last year. I got my LJ in Nov, but I got hooked on following for sale listings. Great (below market) deals usually go within 24 hours. The quickest I saw was one sell within 3 hours of going live.

Off-topic, but I would not be surprised if the Jeep I posted here makes its way to Phoenix. There's a dealer there that has a thing of snagging low priced Jeeps to flip.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.