Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings fellow Jeepers, I have a somewhat unique question that I have not seen specifically covered in any other threads. I have a 97 2.5L 5-speed with 31" tires and 168,000 miles. When I even touch the clutch I hear a whine, at idle or while shifting. I have checked the master cylinder fluid level and it is fine. I havent checked the trannie level yet. The other part of this is it isnt slipping out of gear but sometimes it is a little hard to get into 2nd and 4th gear but no grinding, just a little hard to push into gear.
I guess what Im wondering is if its the throw out bearing or possibly needing a clutch and/or slave cylinder replacement. Its my DD so I need to have a little better idea what to replace to fix the issue.

Thanks and any help would be appreciated. :punk:

·
Registered
290 Posts
my throwout bearing did the same thing at 160.
while you're in there just do the entire clutch.
it's a ticking bomb, I waited until my tob disintegrated
leaving me stranded off the freeway.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Greetings fellow Jeepers, I have a somewhat unique question that I have not seen specifically covered in any other threads. I have a 97 2.5L 5-speed with 31" tires and 168,000 miles. When I even touch the clutch I hear a whine, at idle or while shifting. I have checked the master cylinder fluid level and it is fine. I havent checked the trannie level yet. The other part of this is it isnt slipping out of gear but sometimes it is a little hard to get into 2nd and 4th gear but no grinding, just a little hard to push into gear.
I guess what Im wondering is if its the throw out bearing or possibly needing a clutch and/or slave cylinder replacement. Its my DD so I need to have a little better idea what to replace to fix the issue.

Thanks and any help would be appreciated. :punk:

as far as 2nd and 4th being tough to shift into worst case scenario it might be the Tranny. If the clutch or master cylinder was bad I think it would be tough to get into all gears not just 2nd or 4th.

If I'm not mistaken you have the ax-5. Try changing out the fluid for some decent stuff, might help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. That's what I was thinking it was too. I plan on doing the clutch at the same time and the slave cylinder.

Ok second question. How hard do you think this is to do by one person? I have a garage and jacks and tools and a good bit of mechanical knowledge and a service manual. Or should I take it in somewhere?

Thanks for all the input

·
Registered
290 Posts
Thanks guys. That's what I was thinking it was too. I plan on doing the clutch at the same time and the slave cylinder.

Ok second question. How hard do you think this is to do by one person? I have a garage and jacks and tools and a good bit of mechanical knowledge and a service manual. Or should I take it in somewhere?

Thanks for all the input

Slave & master cylinder replacement is cake as long as you have an external slave cylinder.

it's possible that the master and slave cylinder in your jeep are actually 1 unit. I'd look it up or call a local dealer's parts dept. The slave and master cylinder in my TJ was 1 unit, I wasn't able to buy the master, slave, or line separate.

Clutch replacement difficulty will vary depending on your mechanical ability. I personally think it's difficult but not impossible. I know some guys that can do this in their sleep.

here's a nice write up:

1997 Jeep TJ Clutch Replacement

if you decide to DIY make sure to Get an LUK clutch. It's what comes with your jeep, no need for any fancy performance clutch kits. Just get a complete kit. while you're down there make sure your tranny mounts aren't shot too! good luck and keep us posted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts