Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious, anyone had any experience putting one of the 19 gallon pumps in a fifteen gallon tank?

·
Registered
14,317 Posts
You have two options
go with the 19 without modding tank and the only issue is fuel gauge reads wrong (as I recall only reads 3/4 tank when tank full

Or if you really have the 15 gal tank just do the no cost mod to let it utilize full 19 gal capacity it already has and then the new pump will be the right one and read correctly

Mod costs nothing and since you gotta drop the tank to install the pump it is a simple easy mod to gain the extra 4 gal capacity

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
All you have to do is stick your hand into the tank with a razor knife and cut off a few inches of the vent tube next to the filler neck outlet on the tank. Presto 19 gallon tank.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,002 Posts
In theory, to save $$$ and yet still charge extra for the 19 gallon tank option vs. the 15 gallon tank, some model years had an extended vent tube inside a 19 gallon tank that would shut the gas pump off at 15 gallons. Cutting that tube off stops the gas pump from shutting off at 15 gallons.

That said, many who think they have the base model 15 gallon tank because that's all they can get into the tank really have a 19 gallon tank. They're simply relying on the gas gauge too much & filling up whenever the pointer gets anywhere near the Empty mark. My gauge says my tank is nearly empty when it still has 4-5 gallons of gasoline left in the tank. I don't fill up until the pointer is at the last mark below the E and even then it seldom takes more than 17 or so gallons at the most.

And in reality, few TJs actually came with the 15 gallon tank... it has to be a really stripped down TJ for it to have the 15 gallon tank.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any exact measurement to cut off of the vent tube, if imma do it I wanna do it right. The 19 gallon fuel pump is cheaper and a different part number than the 15 and I was wondering because mine holds more like 16 gallons.

·
Registered
14,317 Posts
Just put your vin number on the Chrysler web site and it will list what your tj was equipped with including size of gas tank

·
Knows a couple things...
49,002 Posts
Any exact measurement to cut off of the vent tube, if imma do it I wanna do it right. The 19 gallon fuel pump is cheaper and a different part number than the 15 and I was wondering because mine holds more like 16 gallons.
If yours already holds 16 gallons, you likely already have the 19 gallon tank and are just filling up before you need to. Again, the TJ's gas gauge is commonly pessimistic by 3-5 gallons.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
If I recall I cut about 3 inches off, it's not an exact measurement.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ran it dry once and it was like 16.5 gallons. I'll have to check it out when I drop the tank again

1 - 11 of 11 Posts