Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my way to work yesterday evening in my 1997 SE, my DD, and the check guages light tone and light came on. Noticed the oil pressure guage was down to 0. Kept driving a short distance until I could find a place to pull off. The engine was running fine and no noises were present.

Shut it off, and restarted, and same result. I continued on a short distance and began to smell oil burning and smoke started coming from the under the hood. I pulled off and called for a wrecker. Prior to the wrecker, I found oil coating the bottom of the pan. Not having happy thoughts about right now....this engine is brand new, remanufactured, with less than 5K miles.

When I finally got to work, I was able to stop by mechanic's lot and check a little further. It may not be as bad as originally thought. The oil was apparently dripping from the oil pressure sending unit onto the exhaust, probably causing the burning smell and smoke. Hopefully, it turns out to be just the oil pressure sending unit and nothing internal.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was the oil pressure sending unit causing the problems. A new one fixed me right up, and AAA paid for the wrecker bill.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Jesus, that was a bullet dodged right there! Glad to hear it was an easy fix.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jesus, that was a bullet dodged right there! Glad to hear it was an easy fix.
The after-market oil sending unit only lasted a day before it gave out. It was back to the mechanic , where he replaced it with an OEM sending unit and NOW it's working just fine. Can't beleive the part failed so quick....what junk.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts